Search

Subway to airport??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 03:55 PM
Sophia

Subway to airport??

I'm going to NY in August and was wondering if there was a cheaper way to get to my hotel in midtown Manhattan (by Grand Central Station) from JFK. I usually just take a taxi but I would like to avoid spending $35 if at all possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 05:13 PM
Jen Ratta

You'll be happy to learn that you can take the A train into Manhattan. Once you arrive at the airport, ask for help finding the free subway shuttle bus which will take you to the subway station. Board the A train to Manhattan and use the schedule (transferring as necessary) to help you reach your destination. Also check the NYC transit website for subway schedules and maps.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Marlena

Warning: Taking the A train into Manhattan is a slow ride that takes about an hour. I don't recommend it unless you are really on a budget and not tired after your flight. Remember you will have to shlep your luggage more if you take the subway.

Do yourself a favor and take a bus for thirteen bucks. Here's some info:
http://www.nyctourist.com/travel_jfk.htm#Ground Transportation

Marlena

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 06:09 AM
greg

i agree with marlena......i would recommend taking the bus. subway stations are like steam baths in the summer and train routes have gotten even more retarded these past weeks. airport buses actually take u to grand central station, port authority and one by madison sq, grdn, i think.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 06:12 AM
xxx

The subway goes through some pretty rough sections of Queens and Brooklyn. Take the Bus.

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 06:14 AM
phil

Like they said, you really don't want to take the subway. It is long, can be hot, and can be crowded.

Carey Bus Line and Olympia Trails both run bus services into the city with multiple options for stopping. Don't know the cost but it is worth it.