Subway Help

Dec 17th, 2001, 01:40 PM
XXX

Subway Help

From Grand Central, what subway would I take to get to Zabars and back. Thanks!

Dec 17th, 2001, 01:49 PM
al

Well lets see...

from Grand Central go downstairs and take either the #7 or the S (the Shuttle) to Times Square. Times Square will be the last stop for both. Find the #1 or #9 uptown and take it to 79th Street. Zabar's is at 80th and Broadway. Come out the subway and Zabar's should be right there or very close by.

Dec 17th, 2001, 01:51 PM
thereuare

Zabar's is at 80th St. and B'way.

You'd need to take the 7 train or S (shuttle) to 42nd St/Times Square.

Then take the 1 or 9 train to 79th Street.

Dec 17th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Philip

The 9 train has been temporarily put out of service. After taking the #7 or S (Shuttle) to Times Square take a 1 or 2 train to 79th Street

Dec 17th, 2001, 07:11 PM
karen

Are you sure the #2 stops there? It usually doesn't, but I don't know that line to well. I would just take the 1 train.

Dec 17th, 2001, 07:34 PM
patty

Since 9/11, the usually express 2 train makes local stops below 96th Street through downtown including Franklin St. And the 1 train follows the 2/3 route after Chambers St and goes to Park Place, Fulton and Wall Streets instead of Cortlandt and Rector.

So the 3 train is the only express on that line, and watch out if you're going above 96th Street on the local line - I've been taken to 110th St & Lenox instead of 103rd & Broadway because I didn't notice I was on a 2 train, not a 1 train!

Dec 18th, 2001, 03:18 AM
rqf

Once you get to the Times Square station make sure you get on the UPTOWN platform.
You can take either a #1 or #2 to the 79th Street station and when you exit the subway you will be one block from Zabar's. Should you take an express (#3) by accident get off at 72nd street, cross the platform and take the local one stop to 79th St. While in the neighborhood you might want to check out Fairway and Citarella. Both are between 74th and 75 Streets on Broadway - five minute walk from Zabar's