Suburban New York?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 10:03 AM
John

Suburban New York?

We are planing a trip to New york and will need several rooms. Seeing the vast number commuter rail lines that feed into New York it might be cheaper to stay in a suburb. My question from people that live in New York or know the area is: 1. What are the Suburban tourist cities if any? 2. How do feel about The MTA and New Jersey Communter Trains.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 08:10 AM
AC

Hi John:
Depending on how far out of town you want to stay--I like Tarrytown-the land of Sleepy Hollow and a lot of history!
About a 30 minute ride on the Hudson River Division of Metro North. 1-800-METRO-INFO. www.tarrytown.com. Enjoy!!

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Owen O'Neill

Tarrytown is probably the closest thing to a suburban "tourist" town that's within easy train distance of NYC. Keep in mind that the express train is 30 minutes but if you catch a local it's more like 40-45. the train fare is about $10-13 per person RT - adds up very quickly. Sleepy Hollow is in the area, there's a quaint "downtown" scetion and there are historical sites of interest nearby. NJ options included staying at the new Marriot Courtyard on the Jersey City waterfront (pricey at $200-250 - just as much as NYC prices) and taking the PATH train in ($1 each way)or staying in Secaucus at Red Roof Inn, Hampton, or the Meadowlands Plaza Hotel. Prices there will range from $80-130 (a guess) and there's regular bus service into NYC for about $3.50-$4 per person RT. Takes 15-25 minutes on the bus depending on time of day. I strongly sugest maximizing your time in NYC by staying in Manhattan. There are some suites type options that are moderate in price. You could probably get a two BR suite at Radio City Apartments or the Beacon for $180-250 per night (also a guess). There's usually a sleeper sofa in the LR and you might be able to accomodate everyone in the suite if you can live with sharing a bath. Don't underestimate the value of being conveniently located in Manhattan - so mnay fun things to do late in the evening and you don't contend with the hassle or expense of heading out of town late at night or back in during morning rush hour. I live only 25-30 minutes from midtown by bus and 15-20 minutes by car but I still sometimes wish I could just walk back to a hotel at the end of a long evening!

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 09:56 AM
howard

There are plenty of hotel/motel choices in the Tarrytown area--Marriott, Courtyard by Marriott, Hilton, Hampton Inn, Days Inn, etc.
Tarrytown is in the lower Hudson Valley, which in itself is a great place to visit, especially in the spring. Starting in May, for example, Kyjuit (the Rockefeller Estate) is open in the area, and it's definitely worth a visit.
The above information on trains in accurate. I'll add that the trains are frequent and service is good.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 09:58 AM
howard

Ooops, a correct on the above posting. Referring the trains, it should read, "The above information IS accurate." Sorry.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Anthony

The problem with staying in the suburbs is that there are generally no hotels/motels near train service where the price differentialwould justify the inconvience. You would have to rent a car; and if you do that, you might as well stay in Manhattan.