Strategy for Harvard Commencement 2015 - pls critique

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I am told we need reservations for Harvard Commencement NOW and when I started checking hotels, I understand why. Many are already sold out. We need 2 rooms, one for me, my mother (86) and my youngest DD (23) and another one for my mother in law (86) and my exH. Between us, we have 3 disability placards and I understand from information on the Harvard Disability website, accommodations for special seating and parking can be requested.

All of the hotels near Harvard Square require a 3 night minimum (Tues, Wed, and Thurs). The Harvard Square Hotel, which I am told is a very BASIC hotel, wants $550 - $600 per night per room. This is just awful IMHO. The ones that haven't sold out aren't taking reservations for another few weeks.

I found 2 rooms for very decent prices at the Copley Square Hotel in the Back Bay. It is supposed to be close to public transportation and will be convenient for sightseeing after graduation. I booked it through Booking.Com and the reservation is 100% cancellable up to 24 hours of arrival. Is this a good strategy? Will we have trouble taking a cab on the day of commencement? Its supposed to start around 9:30. My oldest DD, who will be living in proctor housing, will be within walking distance of the theater where exercises are held and we can go there and use it as "base camp" if necessary. Boston/Cambridge Fodorites, what do you think?
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 07:21 AM

I think it's a perfect idea to make a 100% cancellable reservation now, and Back Bay is a great place to stay. I like the Copley Square Hotel and I like the area. If you want to see a bit of Boston apart from the commencement, then it's a better place to stay than Cambridge, in my opinion.

I can't help you with the taxi situation, but if you can manage I'd take public transportation rather than a taxi. If you have to get door-to-door transportation, then I'm sure someone from Boston can help.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 09:05 AM

Will we have trouble taking a cab on the day of commencement?

I doubt it. I assume it is on a Saturday, correct? If so, it shouldn't really be any worse than weekday traffic and we all survive that. I don't go to Harvard Square that often (I'm getting too old for it to have much appeal), but I'd say that if you allotted 30 minutes for the cab ride, you'd arrive with time to spare. Just make sure you have a map (or better, a smartphone with a map app), in case anything pops up like a road closure.

Public transit is also an option, but kind of a hassle from the Back Bay as it involves switching lines. Not really a problem, but a cab would be faster I'd think. I live near the Back Bay and would usually take a cab if I were going to dinner in Harvard, for example.

If you wanted to compromise, you could try the Marriott in Kendall (dated, but well-kept) or the Liberty (very nice), both of which basically sit on top of the Red Line and would offer easy public transit to Harvard and closer proximity to Boston. FWIW, while I have not stayed there, I wouldn't have thought the Copley Square Hotel to be significantly less basic than the Harvard Square Hotel.

One final note... Boston cabs s**k. Rude drivers. Often dirty. The proliferation of the Camry as a cab can make things tight in the back. Cambridge cabs are dirtier still, but the drivers are sometimes nicer (if less knowledgeable). I almost never use cabs anymore and use Uber, UberX or Lyft pretty much exclusively. Far preferable for me.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Harvard holds its commencements on Thursdays—2015 ceremony is Thursday, May 28. This year's was last Thursday (May 29).
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 09:42 AM
HKP

A cab wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the yard on the day of Commencement.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 10:03 AM

A cab wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the yard on the day of Commencement.

I think that is an exaggeration. Unless they close Mass Ave (and I don't think they do), then you can get there.

Harvard holds its commencements on Thursdays—2015 ceremony is Thursday, May 28. This year's was last Thursday (May 29).

Thanks for the clarification. That does make public transit somewhat more attractive, as you would be fighting rush hour traffic in the morning. I'd still think it about the same time-wise to take the cab, but it may be unreliable.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 10:10 AM

John jeffries house
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 11:34 AM
HKP

Have been at 5 Commencements, and Mass. Ave traffic is often diverted or even blocked, esp. if there is a security issue (e.g., high-level VIP getting degree, terrorist threat, etc.) or really rotten weather. All sides of the Yard are carefully protected, including the 2 along Mass Ave.

Many people try to get to their seats well before the beginning, and yes, that complicates rush hour except that any one who works near Harvard usually works FOR Harvard and they don't/can't park anywhere nearby.

LBLoom, also be aware that the number of tickets per graduate is limited, so make sure your soon-to-be-graduate knows the ins-and-outs of bartering for others' extra tickets. In addition, you might also call the campus police re: provisions for handicapped guests (and even cars) -- I'm not optimistic they have any set-aside spaces or shuttles for them, but they've surely had to deal with such things every year for decades.

Finally, is your graduate getting a Bachelor's or a higher degree-- makes a difference re: where the action is. In the morning ceremony, everyone can watch as all candidates for degrees march in along with faculty, potentates, gurus, and general bigshots. You hear all welcomes, speeches, pronouncements, and benedictions. HOWEVER:

Undergrads march and get their diplomas at their residential "house" in the afternoon. Upper level degree recipients have a combined central ceremony, usually in the Yard depending on the weather, etc. etc.

And yes, I love the John Jeffries and highly recommend it, but be aware that parking is down the street and very pricey. Also be aware it's not airconditioned.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 11:40 AM
cw

I don't know how the mobility issues might affect your taking the subway to Harvard Square. But if you do, take the Green Line inbound from Copley Square to Park St. and change for the Red Line, going towards Alewife and get off at Harvard Square.

There are 5 of you, so in order to take a taxi, I would ask the hotel to call for a van taxi to take all of you. Better than going in two taxis. I would leave early to avoid some traffic and have coffee or breakfast in Harvard Square.

The Copley Square Hotel was renovated a few years ago and now gets fantastic reviews. It's a convenient location for you and should work well. There are many nearby restaurants, and it is next door to the Prudential Center where there are numerous options for dining and shopping, and it's indoor in case the weather isn't cooperating.

If you wanted to simplify your commute by public transportation, you could look at the Nine Zero or the Omni Parker House, both near Boston Common and the Red Line at Park St.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 11:42 AM
HKP

My oldest DD, who will be living in proctor housing, will be within walking distance of the theater where exercises are held.

Is this the one who's graduating? Is she an undergrad with a job proctoring for the summer -- if so, she'd still be getting her diploma with her "house," where she lived as undergrad. Those with off-campus housing get their diplomas with one of the associate houses. Or is she a grad student? And what do you mean by "theater" -- there are several events, including Class Day, Baccalaureate, the morning Commencement event and the afternoon degree-conferral, as well as possibly other food-related festivities ( ;-) !)

I suggest you and your graduate look at the program for the 2014 events for a preview. Your older or less mobile family members will probably want to decide which event they most want to attend.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 11:51 AM
HKP

Found this re: guests with disabilities

http://commencement.harvard.edu/guests-disabilities

I was wrong re: where those getting Masters and PhDs actually get their diplomas -- it's according to which School they are getting the degree from -- see this:

http://commencement.harvard.edu/events-schedule

The other activities (Class Day, etc.) happen the day before Commencement -- be aware of that. Otherwise, in case it isn't clear, once again: the "main" Commencement happens OUTDOORS in the Yard in the morning. Diplomas are handed out thereafter, along with lunch. After lunch, it becomes the Alumni's show. (They've been partying all week, often....)
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 12:24 PM

Great information from HKP.

Changing from the Green Line to the Red Line at Park Street is not trivial for people with mobility issues. There is an elevator, but it is a long walk from the arriving trains. I would follow cw's advice and get a van to take you, early. Have breakfast in the Square. Arrange for the van to pick you up again mid- afternoon near your daughter's House. I would reserve this fairly far in advance and confirm, maybe twice.

Getting from the Yard to your daughter's House may require a significant amount of walking. Can your family members do it or should you think about wheelchairs? It depends very much on which House she is in.

Go back to the hotel and have a nap. You will also need dinner reservations, and I would make them early too.

This is a huge occasion. People come from all over the world to participate. You are lucky, though it is a lot of work, and you will have fun.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 12:37 PM
HKP

One last thought - kind of a stretch, though.

If your people with mobility issues could manage getting through a T station, you might consider looking into the Best Western Tria in Cambridge. It is within walking distance of the last stop on the Red Line, which stops at Harvard Sq. (2 stops away, I think) -- although the walk from the motel isn't for those with mobility issues. However, the motel has a van and will shuttle you to the T stop and pick you up -- just make very sure you have made arrangements with the desk for both, ahead of time.

Again, it may not work for fairly hampered people, but file the info somewhere, just in case.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for help. DD will be getting Masters Degree in Education.
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 07:54 PM
HKP

Very many congratulations to DD!!
Old Jun 6th, 2014, 09:27 PM

It does not sound like you will have a chance, but if you have an opportunity, try to go see the glass flower exhibition at the Harvard Museum of Natural History. It is the most extraordinary demonstration of craftsmanship I have seen.

http://www.hmnh.harvard.edu/on_exhib...s_flowers.html
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 03:34 AM

Have you called hotels rather than just looking at websites? For Commencements, hotels sometimes black out dates and use phone booking at local hotel's reservation desk. While not Harvard, this is the way it worked when our daughter graduated from college.
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 04:31 AM

Okay, the Ed School, where she will presumably get her diploma, is a nice level walk from where the University commencement will take place.

google has it as 3/10 of a mile on foot via Garden Street, a little more via Church Street. Can your older family members manage that?
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I am hoping they will be able to walk (at least they can as of now).

I have called a lot of the hotels in Cambridge directly, as I often find you can get better service that way. The Marriott near the Kendall T will not be ready for reservations until next week sometime.

Any suggestions for where to make dinner reservations? Is it necessary to stay near Cambridge or preferable to be AWAY from Cambridge to avoid congestion. We all want seafood but exH is allergic and claims even the smell/fumes of seafood set off his allergies (ha ha, we are tempted (including his mother) to leave him on his own. Not Legal Seafood, we have been there many, many times. Thanks!
Old Jun 7th, 2014, 06:57 AM

OI doubt you will find a restaurant (other than vegan) that does not offer some kind of seafood - so if fumes are an answer, send him out to graze and the rest of you have a nice dinner.

How much are you willing to spend? We had an expensive but wonderful dinner last night at Scampo at Liberty Hotel (Boston, near Mass General). The hotel is in the converted Charles Street Jail - with many authentic features left.