Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Straight on Key West still equals fun right?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mean that to offend I knew I had to post to get a response that was border line I'm sure.

My father in law is pitching a fit and saying Key West is gay only.

Since when?

I know we don't have a ton of drinkers coming down. But, surely there is plenty to do for a few days. Am I wrong? Did I miss this in the guide book?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:49 PM

There is tons to do. Just do a search on this board. Key West does have a gay section (just like many other towns) but it is a melting pot for all!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Where are the beaches where people can go and hang out? I can't find anything.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:42 PM

If you are primarily after beaches, then Key West isn't for you.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 12:05 AM

Key West is more of a "hang around the pool" kind of place.

There are a lot of straight people in Key West.

I hope your FIL doesn't "pitch a fit" when he WANTS something from a gay person which I suspect is more often than he'd care to admit.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 03:27 AM

Here is a map showing the beaches http://keywest.com/newbigmap.gif but Key West is not a beach destination. All of the beaches are man made (except one at the Reach resort) so they are small and rocky. If you are looking for a beach place with soft sand and big beaches I suggest you look somewhere else.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:17 AM

Or rather a hang around the bars on Duval street kind of place. There are many straight people having a great time in Key West.

Ask your f-i-l if he thinks that there are any straight people in San Francisco.

Keith
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:42 AM

I agree if great stretches of beaches is what your father in law loves, then to look elsewhere - if you are looking in Florida, there are plenty of destinations that would fit that bill -
but here is a tiny url link to sites in key west if any of these would appeal to him for a few days visit - or if you add what he likes to do (fishing, boating) then people could help with ideas.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Key West is a place where people "let their hair down". That goes for straights who may drink and "cut up" more than usual, and for gays who may let loose and become very flambouyant. If your FIL is bothered by such behavior as seeing two guys holding hands as they stroll along the street or even kissing while watching sunset, then again, he might be more comfortable elsewhere.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you have two potential problems...

Certainly there are straight people in Key West, but as Patrick nicely puts it above, if even *seeing* obvious gay people is going to be a problem... well you've likely got a problem.

Second is the lack of terrific beaches. Key West is the very end of a spit of land (look at a map) not really a long wide stretches white sandy beach kind of place.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Actually, man gay people feel Key West has become "too straight" and is no longer the desirable gay destination it once was. That should reassure your FIL.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:12 AM
GoTravel

My mother and father live in Key West part time and neither is gay and my mother is a teetotaler.

They are somehow able to overcome those obstacles and still have a blast.

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:54 AM

GoTravel, if I may ask, what do your parents like about Key West?
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Take your FIL to the 801 Bar and let him talk to the "girls" standing outside.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Why does that last post remind of the transvestite hookers I heard about in Waikiki...
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:12 AM

My husband and I went to Key West last year and it is a great place. It's not the so called "gay" place you may have heard. It's really a laid back, friendly, clean, and nice place. What do people care that others are gay? It's a place of all peoples and your post was not offensive.Go, have fun, let fil take pictures.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM

Like the old New Orleans, Key West is a party destination, not a beach destination (and certainly not limited to homosexuals).

Duval Street is like Bourbon Street, but with a Jamaica-esque vibe thrown into the mix.

If you're looking for a party with beaches, South Beach (Miami) is the place.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM
GoTravel

Swaying Palms, they like the fact that it is 81 degrees right now and the rest of the US is is frozen, they like the fishing and water sports, they like the wonderful dining, they like the festivals, they like the outdoor living, they like their friends and neighbors, they like the fact that we all come to visit this time of year, they like the laid back keys atmosphere, they like the colorful locals.....do you need me to continue?

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Most gays do not enjoy Key West anymore....we have hit Fort Lauderdale! If the F-I-L does not want to see gay people maybe he should go to...lets say Iowa...oh wait they have gay people.....ummm maybe Bend, Oregon...oh wait they have gays there too....ummm......every city in this country has gay people even if people do not want to admit. Tell me why you want to vacation with this man??
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:51 AM

I started reading this thread out of curiosity (couldn't resist - LOL) and I am ready to get on a plane. Today has been an esspecially trying day and Key West sounds perfect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -