Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Stowe Vt to Boston in a day, most scenic route, in no hurry.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Getting down to the nitty gritty of our trip. After driving New England for a week we end up in Stowe for the Columbus Day long weekend. So on the 13th we will check out and head to Boston. We will have all day to get there, (Mapquest.com tells me its about 3.5 hours?) and it wont matter how late in the afternoon we arrive (catching a train back to NYC the next day).

As this will be our last drive of this trip to the East coast can someone suggest a scenic route to take and maybe a nice place to stop for lunch?

Thanks AD
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 02:32 AM

Simon Pierce in Quechee VT for lunch or at least a visit. It's right near the NH border not far from Rt 89. Get there as soon as the restaurant opens aiming for a window table overlooking the river. Upscale, creative menu (bring money and don't expect french fries).
We like to drive around the western side of VT because there is so much pretty farm country along Lake Champlain. If you wanted to rack up hours, from Stowe you could head to the top of western VT for a drive down the Champlain islands ending up in Burlington for lunch. But then you would be even further from Boston. Middlebury is a college town with some nice little shops (stretch your legs) and good restaurants. We usually include a visit to the Vermont Country Store. There are two. Rt 100 is beautiful with more wooded scenery. For your final leg, aim for Brattleboro VT/Keene NH. From Keene take Rt 101 across southern NH. It's a pretty nice drive until you get to Nashua. Then take hwy south to Boston. Peterborough NH would make a good late afternoon stop for tea/coffee. If you park in the municipal lot there are several choices for snacks - diner, deli, bookstore cafe, etc. plus you are right next to the river. Pretty, artsy town.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks dfrostnh, you've been very helpful in the planning of this trip. I will have a look at your suggested routes. Simon Pierce sound lovely, thanks again.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 03:34 AM

I really like dfrostnh's VT 100-Simon Pierce-Keene idea, but I would try to route my friends through the Lake Sunapee area and, if at all possible, through Harrisville, NH, a tiny mill town preserved in amber.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 04:09 AM

Hi aussiedreamer,

Been following your posts(as an aussie!)We're in Peterborough(near Keene)as just mentioned, for the start of our New England driving section of our USA holiday. Apparently there's a pumpkin festival we will be in time for. Sounds so quintessentially New England and can't wait. And apropos of your other post, we just booked the $49 Amtrak tickets from New York to Washington. Will follow your progress and maybe pick up some other tips!
Have a fabulous time.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 05:23 AM

Ackislander's suggestion of the Lake Sunapee area is good. Unfortunately the fun chair ride to the top of Mt Sunapee is operating only on weekends. It's been years since we cruised Lake Sunapee but I remember it as a nice ride and interesting. You could continue into New London, a small college town if you need afternoon refreshments. I still like Peter Christian's even though it's getting a little scruffy. From there it is possible to get to Harrisville without going on the hwy. You might make it before dark if you took time out for the lake cruise. Near New London is a small state park on the north side of Mt Kearsarge. Nice views from the top. There's a fee to use the picnic/park area. You can see part of one lake. Winslow State Park. You can take back roads to Warner NH and then continue on Rt 103 to Concord NH to get back on Rt 93. In Hopkinton, keep watch for sign for Gould Hill Orchard. Heirloom apples and a nice view from their parking lot/barn. Rt 103 brings you to Main St in downtown Concord. But from New London you can also wend your way toward Harrisville without getting on any interstate hwy. I'd have to check the map.

I like to go on garden tours and cookie tours during other times of the year. The Harrisville mention reminded me of how many mills there used to be around most of the rivers. On one of the garden tours near Richmond I think, one of the homes had some old mill ponds in back. NH used to have lots of open grazing land for sheep during the years when the woolen mills were active. Even in my time farmland has disappeared. The days of fresh, local apples might be numbered. Enjoy while you can.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

hi mazj... not sure if i'm reading your post correctly. are you already there or leaving soon? Glad to be of service (nice to be the one giving advice for a change ) I will be watching your posts as well. WE spend a lot of time in Melb each year, my fav' australian city.

Again dfrostnh, thanks again..... all being noted.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 06:42 PM

Hi aussiedreamer,

Still planning like you. We leave Melbourne on 28 September, fly to San Francisco for a week, then New York for a week, then train to Washington for 2 nights (just to see the main sights), then train to Providence RI, pick up a car and drive to Peterborough NH as a base for touring, looking for pumpkins, covered bridges and fall foliage (this is a bonus - we just happen to be there at the right time - we hope!!)before returning the car to Boston airport and a long flight home via SF and Sydney. Soooo excited!
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

I know what ya mean. We leave Brisbane Oct 1st for 5 days in NYC a week in New England and then a month on the west coast.
How are your plans coming for NYC? My fav' city in the world.

I've had some great advice over the last 6 months or so re this trip. Click on my name if you want to see any of it. This will be my second trip planned soley on this site....such fun.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM

Hi mazj and aussiedreamer, from beautiful Lake Macquarie! Nice to read other Aussie's posts. We'll be right behind ya too! These $900 airfares to the USA are just too good to miss!! We are driving from San Fran to Reno, then up to Lassen Volcanic NP, back to Yosemite (see the rock fall this week?) and over to the coast at San Simeon. Then a few days in Washington DC and after that?? Am looking at Shenandoah NP and the Blue Ridge Parkway to Great Smoky Mountains NP. It will be Nov by then, and they are telling me that is the peak time for "leaf-peepers", further south than Vermont, of course. I would rather avoid the crowds though.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 03:17 AM

I would not add miles by going west in Vermont to see Lake Champlain/the western side of the state. There are other scenic spots to explore on a more direct route toward Boston.

The drive east from Montpelier to st. Johnsbury,Vt on Route 2is very scenic. The great corn maze in Danville is a popular destination in the fall.
http://www.vermontcornmaze.com/
Another route to St. Johnsbury from Stowe on secondary roads is north on Rte 100 then southeast on Route 15 to connect with Rte 2 in West Danville
From St. Johnsbury you can take Interstate 93 through the White Mountains

The route south of Stowe on Route 100 is as others have suggested, a very pretty drive. You can take this route south to Rte 4 then go east through Woodstock and Quechee. If you do go that way you might consider going east rather than south to Brattleboro/Keene at that point. It is easty to stopg in Enfield, New Hampshire off I-89 to see the Shaker Village. Interesting history in a beautiful spot
http://www.shakermuseum.org/
From there NH Rte 4 would be a nice secondary road to take east/southeast toward interstate 93

I hope you have good maps as you consider these various options. You certainly won't be able to do everything people are suggesting even with a full day to get to Boston but could put together pieces from the different posts depending on what interests you.