Stowe or Montpelier

Old Aug 6th, 2016, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stowe or Montpelier

I have recently posted a question asking where to stay ? Woodstock, Hanover. Now I am wondering as we are going from Boston to Montreal with a 1 night stop would it be better to go a little farther towards Stowe or Montpelier ? Any help would be appreciated please.
Thanks
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 03:05 AM

Based on personal experience -- sadder but wiser -- it doesn't matter because each has virtues, and both are impossible in leaf season without a reservation.

From roughly September 10 through Columbus Day, you can't just drive up and expect a room. Decide soon, book soon. I would also book any special restaurants you might where you might want to eat and expect slowish service in the kinds of places you wouldn't book.

It isn't very far from Montpelier/Stowe to Nurlington, where your choices are broader, and Boston to Montreal is not a taxing day's drive in itself if you don't get held up at the border.
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, then as a stop which area would you recommend. At the moment I have a booking near Woodstock but wondered if that might be a nice midday stop and then move on a little for the evening.

Thanks
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 05:57 AM

Boston to Montreal is about 4 hours. Once you get out of Boston, the drive is quite easy and mostly rural, so you could actually do the whole drive in 1/2 a day. For an overnight, the Hanover area is about half way. Hanover is a picturesque, busy little college town with a few lodging options. It's about 10 minutes off I-89. Woodstock is a very charming, somewhat touristy town about 20 minutes off I-89. It's slightly closer to Montreal. Montpelier is also nice, it's more urban, but still small. It's also about 15 minutes off I-89. However Montpelier is not really that far from Montreal - about 90-120 minutes of very easy driving. Stowe is a nice little ski town, but a bit out of the way.