Reload this Page >

Stop at South of the Border?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 06:15 PM
Judy

What would you tell a European friend, intrigued by highway billboards, about stopping at South of the Border?

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 06:57 PM
GOL

I'd tell them to stop. SOB is unique. It is both the best and the worst, at the same time.

Some would say it is so totally tacky and touristy that it isn't even worth stopping - while others would say that is just the reason why one should stop.

In a larger setting, SOB will someday be a legend of the I-95 corridor. Tell them that SOB and all the hotels along I-95 sprung up as a geographic midpoint between the Northeast Megalopolis and southern points, especially Florida, initially as the Interstate system expanded, then in another wave as Disney came to life. Many of the old stand-by Interstate staples (e.g., Stuckey's sp?) are gone - and perhaps SOB will be gone someday. For the 10-60 minutes it will take, it may be a memorable visit of Americana.

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 07:09 PM
Carol

I agree with the above poster. Even if they just stop to use the bathrooms and walk around to see one of the tackiest, inconsequential attractions America has to offer! BUT, those billboards sure draw them in...

They'll be in and out within an hour. However, wouldn't recommend them spending the night in the area (they can drive to many other nicer areas).

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 07:21 PM
SharonM

WHERE, South of the border, Judy?
(actually, not that it Really matters...)

...have been to many border towns from Texas to N.Mex. to Arizona to Cal...
As a kid, (with family...my dad, with his geology grad students...) we would visit or pass thru border towns... for a little girl from Michigan, they were Great!!! lol

Ended up living in Mexico City ('72-'74) and, of course, that was totally different and wonderfully different!

...Have Fun! Just don't judge Mexico by its border town!

...and order some great Margaritas w/out ice...lol

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 02:53 AM
KNoel

Tell your friend that the billboards are the best thing about SOB!! Just enjoy the signs and keep on drivin'!

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 04:16 AM
Larry

I'd agree with a quick stop just to see how shamlessly tacky this place is- I like to stop once a year, it's great for a few laughs. But DO NOT stop to use the restrooms- they are the most disgusting along I95!

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 04:18 AM
Betsy

Sharon-
South of the Border is located on I-95 at the NC/SC border. It's basically a bunch of hotels, fast food restaraunts, and gift shops. Billboards as far north as Philly (I believe)advertise SOB. Judy, I normally wouldnt stop, but your guest might get a chuckle out of it!

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 09:10 AM
Karl

My wife and I stopped there almost 27 years ago for an overnight stay on our honeymoon. Most tacky, tastless place we have ever stayed. It is also one of the things we most remember from our honeymoon (I did say one of). We still laugh about it. Tell your friend to stop just for the experience.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 09:21 AM
bill

I stop with a Parisian friend of mine on her first trip to the US. I wanted to take her picture with the Huge "Pedro" in the back ground. SHe was not amused or impress. I got the same reaction when I wanted to take her picture of her and a lifesize Ronald McDonald on the bench at a reataurant. I thought it was America at its best, tackiest, most commercial............ and would be a hit with her friends back in Paris.......Needless to say, she was not amused or impressed and refused all pictures.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 09:48 AM
Beth

Go for it! It is the pinacle of commercialization - why would anyone need or want any of that stuff! But it is a kick, esp. the blue bull at the entrance who is anatomically correct. I bought a key ring which I use for the office rest room key - I think it is poetic justice.

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 07:08 PM
Carol

SharonM...

Check out:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/SCDILsob.html

It's not as tacky on the Net as it is in person, though!

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 04:03 AM
Paul

Sharon, "gift shops" doesn't quite cover it. Think of several K-Mart sized stores with gimcracks, sex toys and props, guns, and the cheesiest merchandise imaginable. Judy, if friend has a sense of humor or is a cultural anthropologist, tell him/her to stop there. Otherwise, only if they need to use the bathroom RIGHT THAT MOMENT.

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 11:12 AM
trevor

What? And miss out on seeing the world's larget free-standing observation sombrero? Never!
If you have a minute and are in to kitsch, the gift shops there sell fireworks and some pretty amazing stuff (I bought a ceramic bust of Elvis for $40, although he looked decidedly Asian). But don't buy gas there---it's usually a good 30 to 40 cents a gallon more expensive than local gas stations.
As the ridiculous billboard featuring a large keilbasa states:
"You never SAUSAGE a place!"

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 11:32 AM
Pedro

Tell dem to stay a week, I think.