Reload this Page >

Stay in Carmel or Monterey?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Cheryl

Coming to California in early August. Going from San Francisco to Yosemite and after a few days there going down the coast. Is it better to stay in Monterey or Carmel the day we leave Yosemite? Want to spend a day or so in that area. Two adults, one teen - 15 years old.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Susan

Cheryl, I'd expect the adults would prefer Carmel and the teen would prefer Monterey! If you can't do that ;-), it depends on what you are looking for. Carmel is a quaint, small town with nice shopping and restaurants. Monterey is more touristy, has the aquarium and lots of bike paths, more hotels and restaurants, it's just more "modern". They are close enough to each other that you can stay in one and explore the other. It really depends on what you are looking for.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Shannon

Susan is correct in her assessment of adult/teen preferences. The Marriott or Doubletree (next to each other) in Monterey would be great for the family. We're there every February with our kid. There will be more for the teen to do in Monterey, from Fisherman's Wharf, to Cannery Row, to the long stretch of beach in Pacific Grove. If your teen is a girl and likes shopping, there's also a good factory outlet almost across from the Aquarium (he/she will like that too, so will you), and the Del Monte Plaza Shopping Center is a big mall that everyone who likes to shop will enjoy.

The Marriott has a pool and spa, and gym. I think the Doubleday has the same.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Betsy

About halfway between is the Hyatt Regency Monterey, where my husband and I are staying later this week for $50/night, a Priceline rate. But first go to the very helpful www.biddingfortravel.com site and learn how to bid on Priceline.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:02 PM
x

If the teen is female, she might also agree on Carmel. It's a far more charming town. Monterey is a tacky tourist town catering to smaller children.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Sheryl

I absolutely do not agree with the last response. I grew up on the Monterey Peninsula and Monterey is far from a "tacky tourist town". The two are definitely different, however, Carmel is much smaller with a village feel. No hotels really, mostly smaller inns and cottages. My family of 4 goes back each year (2 teens) and we always stay in Carmel Valley to avoid potential fog and overcast skys. The temperature is generally at least 10 degrees warmer, so if your hotel has a pool that is a plus with kids. We usually stay at the Carmel Valley Lodge and request one of the larger rooms with a kitchen. It is smaller and family owned, but is more personal than most hotels. The Bernardus Lodge is more upscale and is really pretty as well. It only takes about 15 minutes to get from the valley to the mouth at Hwy.1. The drive is spectacular. In August, you may not hit fog or clouds, but the warmer temperature is welcome. Hope that this helps.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Barb

I would say stay in Carmel because there is a tremendous parking shortage and if you are staying in Carmel, you will be able to park where you stay. If you stay just outside of Carmel, make sure there is a courtesy to take you into town. Monterey is close by, don't miss the incredible aquarium and does not have the parking issues that Carmel does.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:05 PM
xx

Barb, where is the parking problem? Monterey or Carmel. Read over your post and try to clarify.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:18 PM
barb

Sorry, I should have proofread my comments first. The parking problems are in Carmel. There is little parking except on the street where there are 90 min limits. It is very frustrating especially on weekends and in the summer. Monterey, even when crowded, seems to have adequate parking with parking garages, etc.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Jean

No one has mentioned this but, Pacific Grove which is between Carmel and Monerey is a great location. In fact many people mistakenly believe that they are in Monterey when they are actually in Pacific Grove. It has many B&B's and smaller hotels. If I don't stay in Carmel I usually stay in Pacific Grove. In fact of the numerous times that I have gone to the Monterey Penninsula for the weekend, I have only stayed in Monterey once, and then I spent most of the tiem in Pacific Grove or Carmel. No matter where you stay, I recomend at trip to Point Lobos (just south of Carmel)--should not be missed.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:08 PM
emmeelee

Whatever you do, do NOT stay in The Best Western in Monterrey. It was NOT clean and the staff was totally unwilling to appease us. I have truly NEVER seen such rude behaviour in a business situation.