Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

stay at two hotels on big island, kauai, or mauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2000, 05:47 AM
lori

we are planning a trip to the islands for a little more than two weeks in early august. we are staying on lanai, kauai, big island and mauai. should we split the island of kauai with princeville and hyatt, the island of mauai with four seasons and ritz, or the big island with the orchid and a place in hilo? or just stick with the one on each. this will probably be our one and only trip to hawaii. thanks.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 05:50 AM
lori

sorry about the mauai, it should be maui.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 07:34 AM
Lani

Lori,

You realize you're packing a lot of islands into two weeks. I normally recommend one island per week, unless you're only going for one week, and then I'd say two nights on Oahu and the other five on one of the others.

IMHO, I'd substitue Oahu for Lanai, in order to see Pearl Harbor, Punchbowl Cemetery, the Bishop Museum, etc. It's a beautiful island with so much of historical interest there.

As for the other islands, I'd only stay in two hotels on the Big Island. Actually, a B&B in Volcanoes Nat'l Park for one night and the others on the Kohala or Kona Coast. As for Maui and Kauai, they're small enough to stay in one hotel for the whole visit. In August, I would stay on the Northern parts of the islands, i.e., Princeville, Kauai, and the Ritz on Maui because they'll be cooler.

Lori, I really might consider cutting an island out. We've done three islands in 16 nights, and that was plenty, unless you really like check-in, check-out, airports, car rental agents, etc. Once you go to Hawaii, you'll definitely want to go back so save some for later!

Old May 23rd, 2000, 09:23 AM
Frank

Since you are going to 4 islands, you'll have more than enough packing and unpacking without dividing your time between 2 hotels on any one island. I agree with Lani that only the Big Island MAY warrant a 2 hotel stay, but its very doable from one hotel as your main base. I'd suggest Lanai as your final destination as it is a quiet island and good for winding down after your 3 island whirlwind touring.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 10:30 AM
Aloha

Well, I personally think you'll be very rushed to go to 4 islands in 2 wks. I'd suggest only 1 hotel per island. I would suggest you stay at Ritz in Maui and Princeville in Kauai. Oahu is just like any other big city but the cultural center is great. Have a great time!

Old May 23rd, 2000, 11:19 AM
Bart

Aloha Lori, I also recommend cutting one island. Rather than staying on Lanai, take the Trilogy all day trip to Lanai. You'll get to enjoy the beach at Manele Bay and see the island- there is not much to see. I suggest the following: 4 days on BI, 4 days on Kauai and 6 days on Maui. In August, Princeville will be perfect. We now always go in Feb or March and stay in Poipu. Much better weather at that time of year. BI I'd stay in Kohala for the entire time and take a helicopter trip to the volcano. Mauna Kea helicopters leave from a heliport right on the property of the Orchid. You can also drive over to Hilo over the Saddle road and do the volcano flight from there. It's quite a bit cheaper. Speaking of helicopters, the Kauai trips are much better IMHO. In August on Maui I'll support the recommendation of the Ritz in Kapalua. A perfect time of year.
Good luck, Bart

Old May 23rd, 2000, 01:53 PM
WildBill

you would have to be insane to want to stay in more than 1 hotel on the islands if you're trying to cram 4 islands into 2 weeks. The only place that this may make the least bit of sense would be the BI and only because of the fact that there's not a direct road from Kona to the Volcano. I would suggest maybe staying at lower priced hotels if you want to be able to afford a second trip, but if you're going all out, you've made good choices. I've been there twice in the last 20 months and am already planning a third trip. You'll love it.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 02:39 PM
annemarie

I do understand that you want to pack in as much as possible and it is doable...would be tempted, however, to not do Lanai. We were on the BI for 5 nights and stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa Village, a fantastic property. We did drive around the island and through part of the volcanoes national park but did not drive in to see the actual lava flows, cracks...whatever you call them. Just not enough time in a day. Seems to me friends of ours stayed at the same property and took a helicopter ride over for the day and saw everything. On Maui, we stayed at the Kea Lani in Wailea and the Ritz in Kapalua. We went in the middle of July so I think weatherwise it would be about the same. THe Ritz is a fantastic property but it is far too windy, rainier and the beach area is a little downhill hike away...beach conditions were not good at all...besides up in Kapalua you are the farthest away you can get from Hana and Haleakula. Do the Four Seasons or, if you can't get it, the Kea Lani in Wailea. Hope this helps a bit!