Staunton or Charlottesville VA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide which of these would make the best overnight stop after a drive down Skyline Drive. Since it will be probably late afternoon before we arrive and we are looking to leave the next morning, we are just looking for someplace where maybe we can find a few shops, have a nice dinner and spend the night. Any suggestions on which of these two would be the best choice?
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 06:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Both are nice towns. I have only driven through Staunton so I can't comment on the area as far as shopping, dining.
Charlottesville has a cute main square area with restaurants and shops. You can stroll the cobblestone street that runs between the shops (no cars) and dine outside. I think you would have fun there.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 05:34 PM

Staunton would be a good stop we have stayed here it's very convenient to 81. The downtown has some nice shops. If you stay here Mrs Rowes Restaurant is very good home style cooking.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Staunton is smaller and has a nice little downtown area which is walkable. If your visit coincides with a UVA home game, I would definitely pick Staunton. Otherwise, it really depends on how much you will want to do in the evening. Are you planning to tour Monticello?
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 05:15 AM

we slept in charlottesville and received a great 3* hotel on priceline for under $50.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

No. we weren't going to take the time to visit Monticello. Our main porpose is just the trip down Skyline Drive and Blueridge Parkway. We are basically looking for an overnight stop that might offer something different, a town with some charm that adds to the "feel" of the drive. Someplace were the shops don't shut down really early, and where we can find a nice dinner, preferably something with some regional cooking.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 03:34 PM

Staunton would be right off 81 and is a cute town. I don't know if it shuts early or not. There are a bunch of chain hotels in the area.
We were supposed to stop there for the night last winter. (We own a mountain home in WV and we were afraid of driving over the mountains at night. We are from central VA. But we didn't stay). There is a german restaurant we were going to try. It is called Edelweiss. They had music on weekend nights. They have a website, edelweissrestaurantva.com I don't know if it is any good, but we are still hoping to try it one time.
Hope you enjoy your trip.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 06:50 PM

Charlottesville is a big college town (UVA) while Staunton is a true country town. I remember both as having the same amount and type of lodging. Charlottesville has the added benefit of historical sites. Both are very nice.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 06:12 AM

Have driven through Staunton at least half a dozen times and missed the nice downtown part, but there are some nice historic buildings. The Charlottesville area will likely be more expensive. The Edelweiss Restaurant is not worth the stop--much of the food tasted like it was canned or frozen. Definitely does not come close to the German food prepared by my German mother.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Another endorsement for Rowe's restaurant if you do end up in Staunton. More to see in Charlottesville--if you do that, I'd hit "The Corner" across the street from Jefferson's Rotunda at the center of The University rather than downtown, and then stroll around the Lawn (the quadrangle in front of the Rotunda) and surroundings.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM

gabriele: That is so dissappointing about the Edelweiss restaurant! We never made it there that night, but I was hoping to get there eventually. Now I won't bother. My DH is german and loves the traditional german food and he will be disappointed as well.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 01:09 PM

They should have great beer. Why not go in for a couple of drinks and some apps.