Notices

Starrsville

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starrsville

I've been terribly dismayed by Starrsville's banning last night. She's a valuable poster and I'll miss her. This instance is especially unfortunate as it was the result of a very sensitive subject being insensitively bandied about, toes being not just stepped on, but trod on, and not just Starrsville's. In very typical Starrsvile fashion, she had the gumption to say what I would have loved to (but have already been banned once for speaking my mind so now I'm a wimp. )! Good for her.

I hope others will take the time to drop the editors a line at [email protected] and express your feelings too. This was a very unfortunate incident and my sympathies are firmly in her corner.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 02:50 PM

What the heck happened? Was this over the "I was scolded by my houseguest" thread?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 02:52 PM

I think so, Suze. It's just too bad, and I read most of the thread, and didn't see anything "offensive"...
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 02:59 PM

I see it is now a locked thread. I'm not sure if it was edited or replies deleted but hardly seemed offensive. Just the usual when someone starts sharing too much personal information (not the OP) and people respond with their thoughts.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Twinkle, twinkle little Starr, how I wonder how you are

I, too, am mystified by the banning of Starrsville.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 03:24 PM

Wow, I am shocked! I was reading that thread and found nothing offensive.

I just found out a little while ago that patrick was also banned (I know it was a long time ago). I was so surprised as he has always been so informative and helpful.

How and why and how are you notified that you are banned? It seems a little crazy to me...I liked Starrsville
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Wait a minute. Please someone explain to me what's going on. I was an original poster of "I got scolded by our house guest." How Starrsville's statement can be a reason for her being banned from this board? She never said anything offensive.
I always admire Starrsville for her very helpuf messages. How do you know she is being banned?
If my original post has anything to do with it how can I reverse this unfair and unjustified decission? I just reread her input and still don't see any reason.
Malesherbes, thank you for taking time to post this information. I'm trying to figure out why my post was locked. I found nothing but very interesting and varied opinions and expriences. I did not feel there was any reply that would be offensive to anyone. Actually I really enjoyed reading such different opinions and as I stated I respected all of them and appreciate every post.
Starrsville, if reading this please accept my sincer appology for my post being reason for this unjustified decission.
I contribute often on topcics regarding Alaska, North Carolina, Adirondacks, Seychhelles and other places visited but until I get an anwer
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Somehow my message got posted before I finished typing, proofreading, etc., So I am reposting one more time.

Wait a minute. Please someone explain to me what's going on. I was an original poster of "I got scolded by our house guest." How Starrsville's statement can be a reason for her being banned from this board? She never said anything offensive.
I always admire Starrsville for her very helpful messages. How do you know she is being banned?
If my original post has anything to do with it how can I reverse this unfair and unjustified decision? I just reread her input and still don't see any reason.

Malesherbes, thank you for taking time to post this information. I'm trying to figure out why my post was locked. I found nothing but very interesting and varied opinions and experiences. I did not feel there was any reply that would be offensive to anyone. Actually I really enjoyed reading such diversified opinions and as I stated I respect all of them and appreciate every post.
Starrsville, if you are reading this please accept my sincere apology for my post being reason for such unjustified decision.
I contribute often on topics regarding Alaska, North Carolina, Adirondacks, Seychelles and other places visited but until I get an answer

Anyway, until I get a satisfactory answer from the editors I won't be contributing on the above topics. I know it won't be a big loss but I feel I need to express my feelings to editors.

Starrsville, until then my thoughts are with you.
Pat
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh Gawd - I sure hope they aren't on another banning binge!

The last big clearance when several members who have been around the longest were banished - I don't think the site has recovered yet. Some of them are back w/ new screen names but many just moved on and never came back.

such a shame . . . . . .
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 06:52 PM

Starrsville, if you see this please email OneWanderingJew and ask her to forward your email to me..my hugs to you!
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM
emd

Some posters who were banned last fall have thankfully returned w/new names. And one tries not to make a fuss over that, because we are just ahppy to have them back, and mostly they have tempered their tones.

While we are mourning the "lost ones", one person I really do miss frequently is chicgal. I do not think she was banned, but mysteriously all of her posts were deleted about 18 months ago. By this I mean that all of her posts were just wiped out within each thread she had ever posted on, for no apparent reason, no infraction of any kind that was apparent (she was an upbeat and helpful poster), and you can still see the responses to her postings addressing her posts, but her actual posts are just obliterated out of the posts.

I had a kinship w/her on this board, as she went to Sedona every Sept. and always stayed in the separate cottage room at the Best Western Arroyo Roble in uptown Sedona. It is strange, but I knew that she was a fodorite who also enjoyed Sedona enough that she also went there every year in addition to her other travels, as I do. And we chatted back and forth on those Sedona postings.

Hers was an unusual demise on here, and there were many musings at the time on why it happened...people finally decided to let her RIP as it did not seem to be driven by the editors and we thought maybe she had gotten in some kind of work or legal or other trouble over her posts.

But I have never forgotten her. I know that probably seems stupid, but I still miss her.

I was thinking of her tonight as I bought the summer '06 Sedona magazine at Borders and as I was pouring over it I saw an ad for Best Western Arroyo Roble and the first thing that came to my mind was chicgal.

People come and go in cyberspace. But I have never stopped wondering what happened to her and I still think about her whenever I think long on Sedona (which is fairly frequently, like tonight, it doesn't take much to prompt me in that direction-- a post from a couple who stayed there for only a few days, and my newly purchased magazine).

But if she is out there, I'd really like to meet up w/her for coffee in Sedona some Sept., and in fact I will be there this Sept....

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:12 PM

so, how does one tell when one has been banned? I read her post and didn't see anything offensive. I don't get it?!?! Is she posting under a new name? Has anyone been in contact with her? She was recently very helpful to me with my upcoming Paris trip. Someone please keep us posted!
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:41 PM

When was is banned from Fodor's they can still read Fodor's, but they can no longer post.

I hope Starrsville reads my posts to her.

And emd, I miss chicgal too! That was so sad.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 02:38 AM

I feel like I just dropped in from another planet! This is tough to take, folks. I suddenly feel like a guilty kid who doesn't know what they are guilty of but I better be on the lookout because it could happen to me (not sure what IT is, but I better be on guard).

I have been quite active on this board for over a year. I consider myself to be a newbie, but in that time I have also began to establish some Fodorite friendships . . . Starrsville being one, Pat2003 another, etc., because we frequent a lot of the same forum areas. I have always found Starrsville to be quite helpful, informative, often injecting her own brand of humor--which we all know makes some Fodorites so much more delightful than others. I just don't get this. I don't see where her posts are any worse than many others. Heck, when I first started posting, some people attacked with such furiousness that I almost left this board had it not been for Fodorites like Starrsville who encouraged me to continue in spite of some rude people here.

I just don't get it. Do the editors ever step in to explain any of this? I have to admit, this REALLY makes me wonder if I want to stay on this board.

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 03:19 AM

Whatever was offensive would have been removed from the thread before it was locked. Certainly, you cannot go back and read what got someone booted.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 03:31 AM

Malesherbes, how did you know you were banned? Do they explain why when they tell you you're banned? Thanks!
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 04:05 AM

Dreamer2, I am an OP of <I got scolded.>
Last night after posting my previous message above I and checked it out again. I didn't noticed anything was removed and Starrsville's messages are still there. I do not feel there were any statements that should lead to such harsh decision.

BayouGal, I feel the same way and also wonder whether I'm saying too much right now.

Old Jun 17th, 2006, 04:11 AM

emd: she is still here.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 04:29 AM
emd

Oh my gosh! Thank you thank you thank you, I am toasting the news w/my coffee! Now I have to figure out where. That part took me awhile w/another (hurricaine state) poster but I finally figured it out.
Old Jun 17th, 2006, 04:34 AM
emd

well, that didn't take long- got it, w/your help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO