Reload this Page >

Star Party on the Volcano

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2001, 11:13 AM
luds

Has anyone taken the "Star Party on the Volcano" activity on Maui? This is the evening astronomy tour which takes you to the top of Haleakala to view the sunset and the stars. My son is into astronomy and I'm wondering if its worth the money.

Old May 16th, 2001, 01:00 PM
scigirl

I haven't done the tour. However, I did go up Haleakala to see the sunrise. With bare eyes the night sky on Haleakala was breath taking. I was amazed at how bright the stars were without city lights, clouds, etc. intefering. There is a good reason why there is an observatory on this volcano. So - I'd say - do it. (And I'm now considering it for my next trip to Maui - this is the first I've heard of the Star Party).

Old May 17th, 2001, 01:08 AM
Melissa

It does exist! I saw a brochure for it in the lobby of an Aston Hotel. I would think it's worth the money if it's a clear night. I've been up in Kula at night and the night sky is tremendous--so different from the city! And you see so many shooting/falling stars! So if you can party up closer to the stars, more power to you.

Old May 17th, 2001, 01:12 PM
luds

For anyone interested here's the address for the "Star Party on the Volcano" - http://www.starparty.net/.
$125.00 just seems a little expensive although I've seen it discounted to $110.

Old May 17th, 2001, 02:23 PM
rheianne

i was looking into astronomy tours as well. i think there are other options on maui for star gazing, though not as nice. i haven't gone, but i know for sure that the hyatt in kaanapali offers nightly astronomy lectures and star gazing, first through binoculars and then through one of their two computer-aided telescopes. the program lasts about an hour, takes place at around 10 p.m., and costs $20 per person. by far not as dramatic as doing it on mt. haleakala, but not as painful with respect to price or sleep deprivation.

Old May 17th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Dee

Just do it ! It sounds excellent !! Whats a $120 in the whoel scheme of life ?

It would probably get spent on bills in the long run anyway...

I'm adding this also to my Hawaii itinerary !!