Search

St. Pete Beach Food

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Laureen

St. Pete Beach Food

My hubby and kids want me to find some small places to eat shrimp (yum!!) and fresh seafood on St. Pete Beach. We're an informal bunch, and want the freshest for not too much money. Can you name a few you know personally - maybe you know the owner even. We're travelling soon, and I'm on the spot. Can you help me?

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 09:42 AM
ttt

To the top.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Andrea

I don't know if you are dead set on staying at St. Pete Beach, but if you want shrimp in that area, the best place to go is Paul's shrimp in Tarpon Springs. It will probably take you about 30-40 minutes to get there, but I promise that it's worth it. They have boiled shrimp that you get by the pound in addition to greek salads. I'm sure they have other food on the menu, but that's what I have always gotten. It's a total dive, but the food is amazing.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Laureen

Thanks, Andrea, but we're on foot - decided this time to do without a rental - my 16-yeal old is driving us crazy to drive, and we've decided to avoid the entire issue. However, thanks

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 10:57 AM
TT

TTT

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 12:07 PM
joan

Hi Laureen! I own a seafood market and restaurant in St. Pete, but since you've said you're on foot, I won't mention it here, as you definitely must drive to get there...

Some of my St. Pete Beach faves are:
Breakfast: Le Croisette (a must eat!)
Lunch/Dinner:
The Seahorse and Sea Critters in pass-a-grille (taxi?), (the kids will love feeding the catfish on the dock behind Sea Critters)
Leverock's (very touristy, but fair prices and fresh fish)
Carino's Italian, at the north end, in Mulligan's plaza just before the bridge to Treasure Island, fabulous (leave the kids home and get romantic here)
Skidder's (a huge menu with outstanding Greek fare - try the gyro)
Crabby Bills: I hesitate to recommend this place, because I don't think much of the food EXCEPT the oysters-on-the-half-shell and the VIEW. So, go at sunset for oysters and beer!

P.S. I have a 16 year old and here's my answer: they don't rent cars to anyone under 25, and any additional drivers cost extra. So don't even dream you'll be getting behind the wheel, bucko! (If you do get a car, let us know, cause my list will definitely change then!)

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Laureen

Thank, Joan. Your ideas about the licensing/rental are worth considering. Maybe we'll have wheels afterall - hooray. Where is your market, and do you pack frozen shrimp for trips home? And any other places you'd suggest. Somebody told me to avoid Crabby Somebody's like the plague - is that the one you have in mind?

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 08:21 AM
melinda

Where are you staying on St. Pete Beach? Pass a Grille Beach is just south of there and you can walk along the beach to eat at The Hurricane. They are a fixture in the area for Grouper Sandwiches. Take a short taxi ride to Leverocks for reasonably priced good seafood but it is a basic restaurant. The little restaurant in the Tradewinds by the pool has a nice view to sit outside for burgers...I know you were asking for seafood. They usually have beach volleyball outside of Harry's beach bar which your 16 year old might like and music. It is a nice beach with usually really nice water.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 10:05 AM
JK

Thanks Melinda! We'll be visiting St. Pete's for the first time in a few months and we are NOT seafood eaters. Thanks for the additional tips.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 11:52 AM
joan

Laureen,
Ok, Ok, here goes a shameless plug for myself: (hey after two years posting here this is my first one -- Leone are you listening?)

My place is called Mid Peninsula Seafood. Yes, we pack shrimp for travel (your cooler or ours) in addition to other hometown specialties like stone crabs, alligator, conch, oysters (the best fried oyster you ever ate!), and my husband makes great smoked fish spread in several flavors. We do lots of takeout, and picnic tables for dine in. We're located on 49th Street in St. Pete, at the eastern border of Gulfport, an adorable little town with more good restaurants. The name is Mid Peninsula Seafood, here's a review in our local newspaper from February (we are very family-friendly):
http://www.sptimes.com/News/022101/Taste/Diners_reel_in_a_grea.shtml

Anyway, IF you get a car, you can visit my other favorites:
Backfin Blue in Gulfport. get the corn chowder - there's a big lump of crabmeat in the center..aaah
Salt Rock in Indian Rocks Beach, dressy, or Guppy's in the same town, casual.
And for great steaks, JK, Spoto's Steak Joint in St. Petersburg on Park Street, although they have a great tuna rare too!

And yes, Crabby Bill's was the one to stay away from. The Hurricane has gone way downhill, and my girlfriend was there yesterday with some out-of-towners: no grouper! Hope you enjoy - say hello to Don or Joan if you stop in my place!

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 04:30 AM
TT

ttt

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 06:41 AM
ron

forgive me for breaking the string, but i've been watching "ttt" post his/her cryptic "to the top" reply on this board for months. does anybody know what it means, or this just somebody who has too much time on his/her typing finger?

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 07:52 AM
x

Here's another vote for the Seahorse in Pass a Grille.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 10:01 AM
canuck

Ron..to the top is just a way of pushing the topic back to the beginning of the thread so that you don't have to scroll through dozens of posts to get to it and it doesn't get lost. People often do it if they think the post is interesting enough that if some people might have missed it the first time they can have a second (or third) chance to see it.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 11:40 AM
ad

From the Fodor's FAQ page:

"Can I promote my business on your forums?

No, absolutely not. Fodors.com is one of the few major sites where travelers can come for unbiased, independent information about travel. Since our travel writers can't be everywhere at once, it's important that travelers be able to use our forums to get fresh-from-the-field updates and advice from other travelers. Please respect the integrity of Fodors.com and our forums, and find another way to advertise your business."

I wouldn't patronize a place that is owned by someone who can't be bothered to respect the rules of a web site which didn't belong to him/her. Someone who claims to have visited Travel Talk for two years is well aware of their no commecial advertising/promotion rules.

As Fodor's says joan, find another way to promote your business, because your post will be deleted after they get some e-mail complaints about it.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 11:51 AM
minnie

I'm glad Guppy's is still there. The best homemade apple pie w/cinnamon ice cream.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 06:12 PM
joan

Sorry, no ad. I just don't agree here. This person specifically asked about seafood restaurants. I think advice from those "in the business" - whatever the topic, is especially useful. That's why I was up-front about it. Go ahead and email Fodor's and get my post deleted if it makes you feel better. No harm done. By the way, at least I had the courage to use my name. How 'bout you?

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 06:47 PM
twothings

Sure you did joanxxx, now there's a REAL name. If I reeked of fish the way you probably do, I'd hide too. Bet it has nothing to do with your fish market either. You know what they say...there's two things that smell like fish, and one of them's fish!

Just how many people with something to sell to travelers are going to agree with Fodor's no ads stance? They always claim they are "just answering questions" but oh so fortunately for them, their "answers" (plugs and promos) could net more profit for them! But unfortunately for them and you, it's not up to you to decide whether or not you agree with it, it's Fodor's site to maintain as they wish. And as they clearly stated, they do not wish to have money-grubbing "entrepreuners" such as yourself using their for your free advertising.

I e-mailed Fodor's about this as well, just to see if they really do enforce their no promotions policy. Heaven knows they readily delete anything else here, let's see if they delete self-serving promos designed to enhance the bottom line of those who use this free site as a target market promote themselves and their businesses.

Troll for customers elsewhere Fishwife.