Search

St. Michaels, MD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Michaels, MD

I'm going to be in Cambridge, MD for a sporting event this summer and decided I might like to add on a few days in St. Michaels as I've heard some nice things about this area.

Is it worth visiting? Where should we stay? I've seen the Inn at Perry Cabins which seem a bit overprices, and Five Gables looks nice. Other suggestions to do, see, stay, eat?
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:28 AM

St. Michaels is lovely, but "a few days" maybe too much. It is much more a "relaxation" place than a "doing" place.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Let me clarify, I would add on two nights prior to moving on to Cambridge.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:37 AM
emd

One night with a good dinner and a day to walk around to the couple of shops is enough for me. Unless you really want to r-e-l-a-x that second night and sit on the porch and sip mint juleps at the Inn. St. Michael's is sleepy.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:50 AM

St. Michael's is the most touristy of the Eastern Shore towns. The Waterman's Museum is there plus several expensive B&Bs and Inns. Plenty of upscale tourist stores. Some very good dining. My favorite is Michael Rorke's Town Dock.

Closer to Cambridge is Oxford which is much less touristy. The best crab cakes in the country are cooked at the Robert Morris Inn at Oxford.

Up the Choptank River from Cambridge is the old arsterman town of Secretary. The Suicide Bridge Restaurant has pretty good eating.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:00 PM

I agree that one night in St. Michaels is plenty. Inn at Perry Cabin is very nice and, while pricey, is worht th emoney.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

In all honesty, I will be there primarily for relaxation and just enjoying the seaside town because the stay will be to chill out a couple of days before a duathlon....I'm not looking for anything over the top or noisey. Thanks!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:08 PM

A day and night in St Michaels is good. Since you have another day, a relaxing outing would be a look at some of the other near by small towns: Easton, Oxford, Tilghman Island and Wye Mills. They are all relatively close to one another. There's some antiquing, a few galleries, one off shops and restaurants.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
LN

St Michaels is not a noisy or over the top town - it can be an enjoyable visit for about two nights and with that you can pick up Oxford too!!

The Inn at Perry Cabin is verrrrry pricey and it is your money but I think I could stay elsewhere. I also believe that Five Gables has gotten good and bad reports along with many feeling that privacy is not up to par!!

Shane knows the town too and gave you good advice - we like Town Dock and we love going over to Secretary and having some good seafood at Suicide Bridge.

We've stayed at Harbortowne a number of times as well as the Comfort (??)) right at the harbor in St Michaels.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:45 PM

if chilling is your want..St Michaels might be ok. We found it rather overdone but we were there in early September. We actually stayed in Chestertown and explored St Michaels, Oxford etc. Chestertown really does roll up its sidewalks at night. We stayed at the Imperial and loved dinners at The Blue Heron in CHestertown and Waterman's in ROck Hall. GREAT CRABS!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:47 PM

BTW~I remember an article on the Inn at Easton a few years back..probably Food and Wine. It looked very nice.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:32 PM

I would have to agree with only spending one night. The main street with quaint shopsm which is one of the main points of attraction, is about three blocks...

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 01:11 PM

PamSF,
Really small world as my parents owned a house just X the Chester River from Chestertown adjacent to the game preserve maybe 300 meters W (downriver)of the bridge. We spent many great summer months there when I was in med school @ Georgetown and during my Bethesda Navy active duty.
The children caught 3 dozen blue-claw "keepers" a day and we enjoyed crab imperial, crab cakes, and crab todamente every day.
SIS is a Chestertown College Grad (and has a MA from UMD and a PhD from UNC).
M
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 10:08 AM
vannevka

i live in st. michaels and it is a sleepy town--which is think is wonderful! oxford is only 20 min away and is even sleepier, very few shops and some restaurants. not really much to do there, imo. the ferry back and forth can be a nice ride. easton, 10-15 min away, has a nice downtown historic district with unique shops and restaurants. you can see the trio of towns very easily, even in one day. no need to decide between them.

in st. michaels, there is one main street with shops--boutiques and antiques--, the harbor and lots of old homes. it is a nice town to just stroll through the streets. the maritime museum is rated one of the best and is pretty interesting. also, it sits on a beautiful point of land. i'd try to get out on the water. if nothing else, the patriot offers a nice ride up the miles river. there are few other "scenic tour" boatrides offered. the sirius is a huge catamaran and people are usually smiling as they come back in to dock. you can also charter a sailboat for a 1/2 day or rent kayaks (which is my favorite!).

the inn at perry cabin is beautiful especially if you want to hang out on a beautiful lawn sloping to the water, sipping drinks and relaxing, and want top notch service. but it is very expensive. the harbour inn is right on the harbor and each room has a balcony. there is a pub with outdoor seating and a small pool area. about 1.5 mi outside of town is harbourtowne. more of a standard hotel but one of the best open water views you'll find. the rest of the lodging is standard b&bs.

dining is fantastic, i lived in nyc and it is comparable to the top restaurants there--but i wouldn't go to town dock for dinner! it isn't a bad place for lunch but if you are going to spend $20+ on an entree you can get much better food at 208 talbot (the best in the area, imo), the bistro, and perry cabin (the pub there is pretty good too). the one thing really missing in town is a decent, lo to mid price eatery. foxys is an outdoor bar right on the harbor and has a limited sandwich menu and is a fun place to have a few drinks. in easton, columbia, the inn at easton, masons and out of the fire are all outstanding. alice's cafe is a great breakfast, lunch place.

keep in mind, if you are going to be here on a weekend, most places have a 2 night minimum stay policy.

have fun!
kari

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Why not just stay in Cambridge, so you don't have to move hotels? We stayed at the Hyatt, really nice resort and did a day trip thing to St. Michaels, Easton, etc. We were there for a three day weekend in the fall and it gave us plenty of time to see everything, we did lunch at the Town Dock in St. Michaels (definitely agree with vannevka on her suggestions for dining). The Hyatt also has a wonderful spa, beach and golf course.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Agree...Waterman's Museum is a good place, also dining at dock. But would consider the Oxford ferry for a little visit to town of Oxford. We've stayed and dined at the fine though pricey Robert Morris. Appreciate the inside comments from vannevka.
Bill in Missouri
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:35 AM

Allegedly, Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward enjoy vacationing at the Inn at Perry Cabin.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 05:14 AM

Tilgman Island is a real back to nature place. The Tilghman Island Inn is reccommended in Fodors Back to Nature Without Roughing It Guide. Just minutes from St. Michaels. 2 days is a long enough stay to get started on the area. Great Packages!www.tilghmanislandinn.com
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Hi there,

I know this post isn't brand new, but I am going to St. Michaels this weekend, and looked up Westovers. Am I wrong, or is the Westovers you all speak of 2 hours away from St. Michaels?

Just wanted to check! This wasn't my post originally, but it couldn't have come at a better time, so thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Sorry, Waterman's, not Westovers. I typed correctly when I did mapquest, I promise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -