St. George, Utah in August - Hotel/Spa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're four adults and three 15-year-olds going on a hiking/biking trip to Bryce and Zion for a little over a week towards the end of August. We will have two nights to stay in St. George before we return home from St. George Airport.

Any suggestions on where we should stay? A place that has a nice view, and offers spa treatments would really appeal to the adults, and the teens would be happy just to have a pool. Should we go to Tuacahn to see a performance?

I saw two hotels: Inn at Entrada, and Green Valley Spa. Would you recommend either one of these?

Your comments are appreciated!
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:28 AM

We do an annual getaway to Red Mountain Spa and Resort in St. George. We love it. They have guided hikes in the morning, fitness and health classes, cooking demonstrations, a lovely spa with a wide array of treatments (recently featured in Sunset magazine), a pool, bikes to borrow, and fun activities. The dining is buffet style for breakfast and lunch and menus for dinner. You can select a signature package which includes the hiking, most classes and meals. Special classes such as photography and the spa treatments are extra.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

POIson, thank you. I'll take a look at Red Mountain Spa.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 10:27 AM

bcm,

You do know that it will be very hot? You might want to think about spending your 2 additional nights at a higher altitude. Even Capitol Reef is cooler than St. George in August. If you are just going to relax by the pool, maybe the temps won't be a problem.

As far as hiking and biking - start very early and do some in the morning. Then do some in the evening. During the day - hang out in the Virgin River.

Have fun!
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Dayle, thank you for your input. I've been told that the temperature in Bryce should be fine, very hot in Zion, and extremely hot in St. George. We will have to plan our activities accordingly.

We're looking stay in St. George, because we have an early morning flight from their airport. I don't know where Capitol Reef is, but I'll certainly map it.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Another vote for Red Mountain Spa. I have been there a handful of times with girlfriends and absolutely love it! Since it is so hot there that time of year, the prices drop quite a bit.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 01:18 PM

Bryce is very pleasant in the summer, but the further down into the canyon that you hike, the hotter it will be. Don't forget to take LOTS of water. There isn't any untilyou get back up to the top.

Capitol Reef would take you further north in UT, so don't know if you are interested in that. The drive from Bryce to Torrey (near Capitol Reef Natl Park) on Hwy. 12 is one of the most beautiful and jaw-dropping drives in the world.

Do a search here to read other's trip reports on this section.

Have fun
Old May 30th, 2011, 07:31 PM

I would highly recommend Zion Ponderosa located just outside of Zion National Park. It is only about a 35 or 45 minute drive. Well worth it.