Reload this Page >

Spring Break in Clearwater

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 07:33 AM
annette

We would like to check out clearwater beach in April, any suggestions on a really great resort, also what's the weather like that time of year?

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 05:09 PM
Donna

We just returned from a four day trip there. Don't stay anywhere right along the public beach, EVERY hotel was doubtful. The Hilton looked nice, just north of the public pier. Also, only a few minutes south are very lovely resorts on Sand Key.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 05:48 AM
L

Annette - Perhaps you might consider a beach some miles to the south, nearer St. Pete, where you do have wide beaches (they were all rebuilt during 2000 - additional sand was dredged and laid - terrific job). There are some decent hotels near the Don Cesar - Tradewinds, etc. And you can get along without a car if absolutely necessary. The beaches at Clearwater can be so-so, or even non-existent, or you may have to go to a public park for some sand. Things get a better as you move south along Gulf Blvd. Have fun.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 05:58 AM
Leone

I am missing Mississippi, for some reason. By the way, I am happy to see that DC is not being referred to as a state (I suppose we are an entity of some kind which pays the highest per capita taxes in the US but has no voting rep.). I try to obtain a t-shirt from every city and state I visit, and I can tell you I now have quite a collection in my closet. Occasionally I like to reorganize them to be sure that each gets worn. Ciao, and thanks for such a nice thread.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 08:21 AM
OliveOyl

Leone...I'm just gonna have to get you up to Clearwater. That beach, (from Pier 60 on north) is so wide you feel as if you're trudging across the Sahara to get to the water! It really is the best of the entire strip--widest and the best of the sand (shell free and whitest).

If you are into walking or running (we occasionally run it if we get there at low tide), you can even get to Caladesi Island (which is no longer an island as the cut was filled in by a storm a few years back) on foot. Only other way to reach it is via ferry from Honeymoon Island. It's a 6 mile round trip trek from Clearwater. This stretch is beautiful if you are even remotely athletic. You get past the houses into State Park, with just dunes, sea oats, beach, and few people; one of the few unspoiled stretches of beach in this area.