Search

Spokane or Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2001, 11:02 PM
Frank

Spokane or Atlanta

I have a very strange question to ask all of you here. My Dad and I have a free tickets to use on Southwest Airlines before the end of June and he wants to go to Spokane, WA because he is into forests, mountains, and scenery and I am more into cultural stuff like museums so I am leaning more towards Atlanta (would fly into Birmingham). Are Spokane and western Idaho stunningly beautiful and worth the visit or are they nothing special? I've been to British Columbia and the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. Do they compare. Some say the Great Smoky Mountains are the prettiest national park and forests and I have been to them. Are there any sites to see there?
I know Atlanta has a plethora of attractions to visit but is weather really hot and humid in the middle of June? I am from Phoenix so I know what a hot (100+ degree) dry summer day is like but haven't been to humid area before. Is Atlanta in June worse than Phoenix? If we decide on Atlanta, which suburbs are the safest and closest to the major attractions?
I am really indecisive and would appreciate insights.
Frank

Old May 29th, 2001, 02:21 AM
Jerry

Once you've seen the big trees in the Northwest, the forests in the east can be a big disappointment. Yes, Atlanta is very hot & humid in June (that's where I live) & yes, there's nothing special about Spokane. How about combining a cultural city with scenic mountains nearby and go to Denver or Colorado Springs....

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:43 AM
John

There are more beautiful cities than Spokane, but there are some good destinations easily reached from there. Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, is only a short drive - beautiful lake scenery and nice town to visit, and the Idaho panhandle northward is also very beautiful. It's not the same sort of scenery as on the Pacific - dry forest, pothole lakes. West from Spokane is the Grand Coulee country, more like AZ than typical "northwest" scenery, the dam itself very interesting. Farther afield, Spokane can provide access to western Montana, where Missoula and Helena in particular have lots to offer.

I for one would not choose Atlanta in late June, period.

If you want museums and town experience, how about Chicago?

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 07:30 AM
T.M.

If your father is really into the trees/woods thing, I'd head for Spokane. I've never been but you won't get that pristine nature scene if you come to Atlanta.

Contrary to others, however, Atlanta is not a total steambath in June. July is much worse, believe me. It can get hot at times but it's not unbearable.

If you want museums, we've got them. The Atlanta History Center is wonderful and full of good exhibits from the past and present. The historical Swann House is also on the grounds.

You can visit Margaret Mitchell's Home in the downtown area and then head for the World of Coke. Fernbank Science Museum always has good exhibits and hosts a wonderful IMAX theatre. Or visit the High Museum of Art.

If you want more of a Civil War flavor, head out to Stone Mountain. It's the second largest rock formation of its kind in the world (after Ayer's Rock in Australia). At night, they have a laser show on the side of the mountain. Viewers sit on blankets on the grass and picnic.

And during June and July, you can visit the Fabulous Fox theatre for movies like Citizen Kane on the HUGE screen. Sing along before the show with the Mighty Mo organ.

Come on to Atlanta. We'd love to have you!

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 09:32 AM
MarySue

What about flying into Spokane and driving to Glacier National Park in Montanta? It's a beautiful drive and the scenery in Glacier is gorgeous.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 04:03 PM
Kay

MarySue's idea is great. I love museums also but Glacier Nat . Park will really impress you and 99% of the time is cool
Other options (as SWA does not fly into Denver) Fly to Salt Lake City --not sure what museums are there except for Mormon stuff--Then takr Amtrak to Denver.Wow what scenery plus relaxing. Great museums, Denver Mint tour interesting plus others. Rent a car or take tour into the Rocky Mountain Nat Park. Hope this helps...

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 07:12 PM
Sal

Frank,

It's also about a 6 hour drive up to Grand Tetons and Yellowstone from SLC. SW also flies into the New England states (Providence for sure and someplace in New Hampshire). The weather is great there that time of year. IMO, I would skip Idaho.