Search

Spice Market in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spice Market in NYC

This is mainly for Bugswife. I have read your raves of Spice Market. A friend will be joining us this next Monday night in the city, and although we thought we had play tickets, the show is cancelled that night, so thought we'd try to go to Spice Market for dinner. Hoping that on Monday night we could get in, but I've been calling (probably 50 or more times in the past four days) and have had nothing but a busy signal. Do we just give up? I don't want to head down there to be told we can't get in. I'm calling 212-675-2322. Is there another number, or is this one of those places that to be more "special" never puts their phone on the hook?
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 07:13 AM

NY Magazine just gave it a favorable review in this weeks issue, so I'd expect it'll be tough to get in for a little bit.

By chance you have an AMEX Platinum Card, they might be able to help get you in. Call their conceirge service.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 07:14 AM

Hi, it is impossible to get a reservation less than a month in advance. The phones open at 9 AM Mon - Sat, and at 10 AM on Sunday.

However, if you get there at 6 pm, you can get one of the tables that they put aside for walk-ins. The problem is that they are over by the kitchen and it is too early to see any action. I would eat somewhere else in the neighborhood, and then walk over there for drinks. Don't go to the downstairs lounge. Park yourselves close to the door and watch the parade as it comes in. Pastis is right down the block.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm. Planning on going back for a month next April -- maybe I should book for then. LOL
Are you saying there is a bar on the main floor where we can get a drink? I love Pastis -- so that's a good option. It's just that my friend is such a nut for Asian, so Spice Market sounded like a good bet. Or maybe we'll stay midtown and do Tao that night.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 10:02 AM

Try opentable.com
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 10:14 AM

Hi Patrick,
Is this the same Patrick on the Europe board?
Spice Market got about 3 reviews published in the past 2 weeks so it is very hard to get thru to their phone and also get reservations right now. Keep trying, someone may cancel.
I have been trying this week as well without success to get dinner reservations.
Also new and supposed to be good(I am going next Tuesday with a client) is Masa, in the new Time Warner Center on the fourth floor. Phone: 212 823-9800. It is costly,but supposed to be a big deal. It is Asian- but may be "an expense account" dinner situation.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Opentable doesn't do Spice Market. And not looking for an "expense account" place, but thanks, Trend Girl.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 01:13 PM

You can get a drink right at the main bar by the door and be there to see the 'stars' as they arrive, or head downstairs to the lounge. They do not serve any food at the bar upstairs, but they do serve appetizers in the lounge.

Don't forget Bobby Van's! Won't see you there though--leaving for Costa Rica on Monday! Have fun Patrick!