Spending one day in San Antonio

Aug 3rd, 2001, 08:45 PM
Roz

Spending one day in San Antonio

My husband has a convention at the end of September in San Antonio. I have the opportunity to fly out of Pittsburgh on Friday afternoon. I'd arrive in San Antonio aruond 9:30 P.M. I have to be back home by 8:00 P.M. on Sunday. Since I will only have one full day, I am wondering if I will be able to see enough of the city to make this trip worthwhile. Do you think I could see the Alamo, walk the River Walk, and see the Missions which are south of the city? I have no idea how long it will take me to get to the missions. Is my itinerary too ambitious? My husbands airfare and our hotel will be paid for by his company, so basically I will be spending around $300 on airfare. I don't know if or when I'll get another opportunity to see San Antonio. Of course, perhaps it isn't even worth the cost of an airline ticket, since I would be there for so short a time. I'd welcome any opinions. I have to make up my mind very soon. Is San Antonio an easy city to get around? My husband's convention is being held at the Hyatt Regency Hill Hotel. Is it located near any of the sites to see?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Aug 4th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Kelly

I think the Hyatt you mention is on the perimeter of the city. There is a Hyatt Riverwalk as well. Driving is not that bad in San Antonio if you are used to Pittsburg - And yes, you'll have time to do the Riverwalk, see missions, etc. in one day - unless you get caught up in shopping at the Riverwalk Mall or something. In fact there are famous missions right down in the Riverwalk zone. I can't remember how far the others were, but perhaps 20 mins. from town. The roads back then were a little "rustic" to the missions - but it's been about 7-8 years now. So if you feel like you're in a rural area, don't dismay, you're probably on the right road.

Dress light this time of year it will be hot.

San is very culturally interesting I think and if you get to the Riverwalk early before it gets crowded you will get a better feel for it. Maybe stay long enough to do lunch outside at one of the mexican restaurants, then move on to other areas to explore.

Have fun!

Aug 4th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Olive Oyl

Roz...my husband is a Hyatt GM...we've stayed at both the Hill Country property and the one on the Riverwalk several times. Hyatt Hill Country is fantastic. I'd go just for the weekend even if I didn't have the opportunity to see Riverwalk! The developer took great pains to fit the hotel into it's Hill Country surroundings and it's unlike any Hyatt you've seen...standing seam tin roof, limestone exterior, low, 3 stories at most, windows that crank open. They built a lazy river through mesquite trees for tubing and there are several other pools, one just for adults. Lobby is phenomenal...two facing massive fireplaces (not handy in Sept but beautiful none-the-less, stone floors...elegant Western decor. Aside from the hotel in Grand Cayman, this is my favorite Hyatt. It's a "destination resort", meaning designed so you go there and have no need to leave, you go for the resort. In this case though, there's a worthwhile tourism destination reasonably close.

Riverwalk area is a drive though, and last time I went from Riverwalk to the Hill Country Resort (this May) we got miserably lost, so I can't tell you how long a drive it would normally be. My guess is probably about 25-30 minutes.

The Alamo is very small and right off the Riverwalk area. Of course the Riverwalk is worth several hours strolling with its atmosphere vastly different from anything you are used to. You can take in one mission as well if you get an early start, but you might find the Riverwalk and the Alamo enough for one day.

Definitely think it'd be worth the $300 airfare. It's a very upscale resort and nice get-away. My son's comment this spring: "Everyone here looks rich". lol Now that's not necessarily a recommendation, gt; but the resort does attract a well heeled crowd. Can you leave a bit earlier, giving you time to enjoy the resort as well as the Riverwalk area? Think you might have regrets about the lack of time once you find what all you have available to you there. I've got an internet page that includes some of our Hill Country pictures. http://pages.prodigy.net/cmcdaniel/P5110052.JPG shows the hotel exterior from the back, and the next in that series, P511056.jpg is the lobby. Others in that group are the suite we had, pretty phenomenal but too big to photograph well, then some of Enchanted Rock, nearby. It's sort of a junk storage page, but you might enjoy seeing the pics of the hotel, anyway.

Aug 4th, 2001, 02:19 PM
Barbara

My husband had a meeting/convention at the Hyatt River Country several years ago. I went crazy ! Thank goodness I had a rental caar. The hotel is in the middle of no where. It IS pretty and if you play golf it's great. I did go to The Alamo(Much smaller than I expected and in the middle of town across from dozens of shockly stores). Riverwalk is right next to The Alamo, it's like any other downtown touristy revitaliztion area, shops, restaurants, more shops. We did have a good time sitting outside over looking the canal having a few Sangrias. Think of it more a a romantic rendezvous with your husband in a strange city than a vacation destination.

Aug 4th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Tannya

Roz:
My husband took me to San Antonio for my 40th birthday. I loved it. I was only there for the weekend but it was enough time to enjoy the Riverwalk and the Alamo and walk around the town. There are fun places to shop and great places to eat. Our favorite restaurant was Boudreaux. They have the BEST guacomole I think I've ever had. They make it fresh, tableside and serve it with wonderful chips. It is very popular and we made resv. for dinner but also went for lunch without much of a wait. The riverwalk is so pleasant. I think you should go! Plus, the resort where you will stay sounds fabulous. I'd go just to be with my hubby for some private time.
Have fun!
Tannya

Aug 4th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Linda

Hit The Landing on the Riverwalk after you get there (still early at 10:30 p.m.) and listen to good jazz, have a drink and people watch. Take the boat ride on the "river" during a hot time as is cooler and gives you a rest while you are seeing things. Check out La Villita (next to riverwalk) and the Hemisfair grounds. Of course, the Alamo (it is interesting and does not contain the entire area of the 1840's), the Spanish Governor's residence, the Mercado area, McNay Art Institute & several museums are all worthwhile visits. Since you have time on Sunday, I would go the Mariachi Mass at Mission San Jose and the mission trail that day (they are south of downtown but still in SA). Of course, to miss the Hill Country while you are there is to miss some nice scenery. You could get up early Saturday and drive an hour north to Johnson City, turn west toward Fredericksburg and pass the LBJ Texas White House. Fredericksburg is nice but has become a tourist stop--Willow City Loop north of city has some spectacular views (dirt road through people's ranches so see all sorts of wildlife as well). Fredericksburg, Bourne, Gruene, Kerrville are German-founded and influenced towns. SA has a lot of Hispanic and German influence. Will Rogers said that it was 1 of the 5 unique cities in US.

Aug 4th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Linda

Oops! Check out mysanantonio.com and savisit.com for San Antonio and traveltex.com for the state. My favorite restaurant is Paesano's near Alamo Heights but there is one of the Riverwalk (good Italian), Mi Tierra was a local favorite for late night Mexican when I lived there (in Mercado) and La Margarita is not bad for price.

Aug 15th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Jacqueline

The information Linda sent you is pretty much on the money. Without a rental car, you will be in trouble considering the hotel location. San Antonio is really easy to get around in, though there will be a lot of traffic around the I-10/410 area due to ongoing construction. Once in S.A. proper though, you can make it to anywhere within 20 minutes bar rush hour. I will even go as far as to say I'll show you around if you want to e-mail me and I'll then send you my phone number. I have lived here for 36 years--Army Brat who got moved from VA.

Aug 15th, 2001, 10:44 AM
lisa

I do think you should take this opportunity to go. You can do a lot in San Antonio in a day or so. I agree with the recommendation to do the River Walk in the morning. Stop and have lunch at Boudros which is right on the Riverwalk and order the Guacamole which they make at your table in front of you -- it is delicious! The Alamo does not take long to see. Then in the afternoon go to see one of the nearby missions which are fascinating. If you do a search of this forum using the words "San Antonio" you will bring up a trip report I wrote from my trip to Austin and San Antonio -- I was only in San Antonio for one day but had a wonderful time. The market area is also worth a stop if you have time.