Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Spending Anniversary in Chicago--Need Help!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are spending out tenth anniversary in Chicago next weekend. We are flying in Friday Afternoon and leaving Monday at Noon. We are staying at the Park Hyatt by the Water Tower. Our only plans are seeing the Bears play the Raiders at the new Soldier Field.

I need advise as to what to do, what to see, restaraunts that we should go to.

I would really appreciate your help.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 05:40 PM

What do you like to do? What types of restaurants do you like and how much do you want to spend?
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:16 PM

A drink at the top of the John Hancock Center is lovely. If the weather is good, a harbor boat tour is fun.

Two of our favorite museums are the Art Institute and the Museum of Science and Industry.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:34 AM

Leave some down time for taking a walk along the lake. It is really beautiful.

The Chicago Architecture Tour is wonderful. You can buy tickets across the street in the Hancock building. There are several tours, but I recommend the Architecture Foundation Tour. It takes you along the River.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:36 AM
GoTravel

The bar in the hotel (NoMi I think?) is also a cool place for a drink.

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:42 AM

Some suggestions for a romantic weekend, mostly within walking distance of your hotel (a great choice, by the way):
Friday - drinks at sunset (get there about 6) at the Hancock's Signature Room (95th floor, followed by dinner at Roy's (on State Street and Superior, about 3 blocks away) or NoMi (in your hotel). N.B. - both are expensive!

Saturday - for exercise, hit the running path along the lakefront, going north. For culture, either the classic Art Institute or the more offbeat Museum of Contemporary Art (behind Water Tower Place.) A third choice, if it's not too chilly, is the Chicago Architecture Foundation's River Cruise or a walking tour (www.architecture.org). At night, how about the romantic play, "Anna in the Tropics" at Victory Gardens Theatre? Lots of good places to eat in that area before or after the theatre.

Sunday - brunch at House of Blues (gospel) or the Drake Hotel(classic.) After the Bears game, a night at Second City Mainstage, "No, Seriously, We're All Gonna Die". It's a fun way to end things. For lots more choices and reviews, maps, etc., see
metromix.com
chireader.com
choosechicago.com
Have a geat visit!

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 05:07 PM

I would suggest the Four Seasons for brunch on Sunday, and save the Drake for lunch. The top of the John Hancock center is great for a drink.

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 05:09 PM

Just an afterthought- we spent a lazy Saturday afternoon of our long weekend at one of the Irish pubs down the street from Wrigley Field.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 05:11 PM

Good suggestions here already, but here's another....I'm a lifelong (now transplanted) Chicagoan who's just back from a quick overnite visit. So I was able to enjoy - and be reminded of the great pleasure of - one of my favorite walks - no official Architecture Tour needed. Head north (left) from your hotel, down Michigan Avenue towards Oak Street and the Lake; at Oak Street, hang a left and you'll stroll down one of the town's great shopping streets (who can afford it? who cares? just stroll and gawk). At Rush Street, make a right - go several blocks past lively restaurants and nightclubs (if you luck out with weather as we did, there'll be lots of outdoor diners). Keep going straight on State Street as you cross Division and you'll head into the heart of Chicago's fabled "Gold Coast." Many of the venerable old mansions have been replaced by anonymous high-rises, but there still is plenty of wonderful architecture to look at (and so many residents so thoughtfully leave their drapes open, so you get to peek inside these $$ homes). Walk several blocks down (1/2 mile, tops) to North Avenue. On your right, you'll see the expansive grounds and mansion of the Catholic archbishop. Across the street (North Avenue)...the beginning of lovely Lincoln Park. Two blocks to your left, you'll find the Chicago Historical Society, one of Chicago's small treasure museums. When you head back, go west one block to Dearborn and re-trace your steps....Pay careful attention to the building architecture - you'll see some true gems! Enjoy your visit - Chicago is a great city!
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 07:08 AM

Arjay, that is a lovely description of one of my favorite walks. I like to stay on Dearborn north of Division and go past the Latin School, Lincoln statue and the nice gardens in between. And the North Avenue pedestrian underpass just lures you into lincoln Park and the south end of the zoo. Even a Bears fan would find it romantic! ;-)
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 08:17 AM

There is so much in Chicago. I used to live there. Definately the Drake and the John Hancock for drinks. I love to eat at the Rose Bud. Very good Italian. Take a harbor tour (very romantic if weather is nice). Walk along the beach. The museums are nice but one will take all day. you may wan to do other things.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your wonderful suggestions. Can't wait!!! Hope the Cubs make it into the playoffs. Would love to see the town in celebration mode!!!

Kathy