Specific SF bus route question. FainaA or anyone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi. I scored the Embarcadero Hyatt ($105 on priceline - Yeah PL!) and the Chiluly exhibit this Sat. night.

So - If I'm leaving from the Ferry Bldg or Embarcadero Center, which bus route(s) can I take out to the park around 8th ave or there abouts? I assume I'll have to walk up Market St a bit - or is there a line that goes from the Embarcadero? I'd prefer a direct route even if it means walking a fair distance over one w/ multiple transfers.

thanks . . . .
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chihuly is at DeYoung, right?

The easiest is probably bus line 21, the stop is either on Stewart @ Market (1st st away from Embarcadero) or on Market on the side of your hotel by a coffee shop.

They've moved some bus stops in that area, ask people who are waiting, or any bus driver.

You can take bus line 5 from Market @ 1st - couple of blocks up Market from your hotel.

These are the 2 closest to the DeYoung lines without transfers.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM

Oh janis I saw the Chiluly exhibit (went through twice, if you skate back in just before the next time period then you have the beginnng section nearly to yourself)

It is really beautiful. I liked the room with the glass as the ceiling. Felt like jellyfish.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:02 PM

Have a fun time in SF janisj. I hope the weather is as beautiful as it was this last Saturday evening!
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
SAB

You could also take the N Judah (underground downtown) to 9th Ave, it has a stop right in front of the Hyatt. It is quicker than buses but you have to walk a little bit further in the park. There are also lots of places at 9th and Irving to eat, if you are so inclined.

BTW this Saturday it should be very busy near the DeYoung as the new Academy of Science across from the DeYoung is opening that day and will have free admission until 9pm. There is going to be an opening day festival in the Music Concourse with food booths and entertainment until 7pm.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:41 PM

SAB, taking line N is faster to the park, but then she'll have to walk to the park and through the park, that nixes the time-saving.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:18 PM

SAB SAID it was a shorter ride but longer walk in the park so I'm not sure how that wasn't a helpful response.

But FYI there is a Giants game at 6 PM on Saturday and the N Judah is often messed up during games. The 5 and the 21 are also likely to be full but may run more often. You can also go to

www.511.org

and plan your route showing all the alternatives.

And it's Steuart St, not Stewart St.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
yk

Hi Janis-

Ditto what Faina said. #21 is just 1 block from the hotel on Market. # 5 is a few more blocks down, as it comes out of Freemont street.

To get off, #21 stops at 8th & Fulton. #5 stops at 10th & Fulton which is closer to the museum.

If you get a MUNI transfer when you board the bus, the transfer ticket will give you $2 off for general admission to deYoung.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
yk

BTW, when we took the #5 to the museum, the bus trip took almost 45 minutes (this was a Friday mid-morning). Just an idea for you so you won't miss your timed entry.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
SAB

Faina, Did you think my suggestion was misleading, I believe I did state that the walk to the DeYoung from 9th and Irving was a little longer. I don't know what time janis will be going to the Park, but I don't believe I would want to be on the 5 or the 21 during commute time--especially if the 5 takes 45 min mid morning.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:41 PM

Go to the De Young web page for travel info:

http://tinyurl.com/4n2dzd

Be aware that the huge new science complex/museum opens Saturday in GG park near the DeYoung; entry is free because it's opening day. Expect crowds and plan accordingly.

I'm (finally) going to the Chihuly exhibit on Sunday and have tickets for the 9:30 opening slot. Yea!
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM

SAB, no, I don't think it was misleading, just posted my opinion.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:32 PM

Janis has said it's for Sat night so I don't think the commute on the 5 or 21 will be an issue. But the Giants game will...as well as the general influx of tourists lately...
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
SAB

OK Faina, I guess it just seemed like a rebuke in light of the fact that you felt it was necessary to point out what I had already acknowledged. Just my opinion.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone Looks like the 21 is my best bet. I knew about the Giants game but didn't know the Academy was reopening that day - thanks for the info.

My Chihuly time is @ 5PM.

It's an LA bleedin Dodger (yuck ) game right? Plus the Giant's last homestand. So it will have a huge crowd. But since I'll be going against the flow, the buses should be OK(?)

Thanks again . . . .
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM

janis, we started a bit after the start time for our window and still thought the beginning part was too crowded so we kind of went ahead. Then when we exited I noticed we still had time left so we went back to the entry and went through really slowly pretty much alone. It was great because I knew where we wanted to linger. I must confess that I couldn't bear being in the big clump of peeps so I had to give up the tour guide but it was still worth it. You can rent an audio tour though.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Suzie: Thanks for the tips. I'm not great in massive crowds - I'm short and all that humanity jostling can be overwhelming.

I got the idea about re-entering the exhibit and that sounds like a deal. But what about hanging back, letting everyone else enter and going in last -- is that a possibility, or would you run out of time to view everything?
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I take the 5 and the 21 to and from downtown for work and I say for a pleasure trip on a weekend take the N. HATE the 5, HATE the 21. They are both slow as molasses. I suppose the "fun" part of the 21 is that it goes through Hayes Valley and passes Alamo Square. But I despise those lines. The N is a (relative) pleasure.

Realize my comments are somewhat hyperbolic because I do ride these lines as a commuter. Still, I would much rather spend my time walking through the park than on the bus. Good point above about the Giants game, though.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Well - I guess we know how you feel about it

Since it will be Saturday afternoon - would that make a difference?
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM

We didn't buy tix ahead of time and when we arrived the time period had already started so the group was somewhat ahead of us but hadn't gotten too far. I don't know the best answer but I know going ahead and then starting over seemed to work best for us. As long as you get back to the entrance before the next groups start time you can go back in.

Ours was on a Thursday afternoon in July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -