Southwest National Park Family Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I have planned I vacation for the end of July exploring some of the parks of the Southwest. Here's the basic itinerary, flying into and out of Vegas:

3 nights Las Vegas
3 nights North Rim of Grand Canyon (G.C. Lodge)
2 nights Zion (Zion Lodge)
2 nights Bryce (Bryce Lodge)
2 nights Torry to explore Capitol Reef and surrounding areas
1 night Vegas before flying out in the a.m.

We're a group of 6 adults and 4 kids ranging from 2 - 10. Seeking input from those that have done a similar trip or know the area. Any "can't miss" sites, hikes, restaurants. Am I being overly ambitious with the kids? Are there any nice, lesser known parks or side trips in the area. Is the heat going to be too much? (We're from humid, hot south Florida). Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 11:30 AM

Our family of four did a somewhat similar trip last July--1 night Las Vegas, 2 nights each in Zion, Bryce, and the North Rim, 1 night Monument Valley, 1 night Mesa Verde, then on to Durango and Santa Fe. If you have any flexibility, you might want to consider eliminating a night in Vegas and/or the North Rim and try to work Monument Valley into your itinerary. It is a special place.
In terms of hikes, you can get a lot of information from the National Park service web-site (www.nps.gov). Our family really enjoyed the Riverside and Emerald Pools trails in Zion, the Navaho Loop/Queen's Garden trail in Bryce, and the Bright Angel Trail at the Grand Canyon. Be sure to bring footwear that you don't mind getting wet--that way you can do some hiking in the Virgin River at the Narrows end of the Riverside trail.
Zion and Vegas will be very hot in July, probably over 100. In Zion, you should do the Emerald Pools trail early in the day and try to get over to the river in the afternoon when the heat builds up. Bryce and the North Rim will be cooler since they are at higher altitudes.
While in the parks, we ate our meals in the restaurants in the Lodges. The food is good but not grerat, but the settings are fabulous. If you haven't already made dinner reservations, you should do so ASAP.
Have a great trip.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:07 PM

I wouldn't eliminate the North Rim from your trip; its higher altitude keeps it cooler in the summer than Las Vegas, Zion, and Monument Valley. Bryce is also relatively high. In July, I'd maximize time at higher elevations where possible. I'd definitely minimize time in Las Vegas. I haven't been to Cedar Breaks NM yet (will go next week!), but the altiude there is fairly high and it sounds as if it's less crowded. Even though "it's a dry heat", the desert heat will totally sap your strength. Make sure that the places you plan to stay have air conditioning, and keep LOTS of water on hand, or you'll feel like you're melting. Early mornings will be fantastic for you, since the desert air cools down so nicely at night.

I think it looks like a great trip for older kids and adults. I don't know how the 2 year old will do with some of the long drives you're looking at. It all depends on the temperament of the child.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:24 PM

I have been to the North Rim several times. It does not offer the network of overlooks and canyon rim roads as the South Rim. I have stayed there 2 nights in the past and unless you go down into the canyon, there is not much to see and do. Yes you can see the canyon from the North Rim, but not nearly as well as you can from the South Rim.

The dining room at the lodge runs full. I have eaten there as late as 9:30 pm because they had no room for me until then. I would make reservations for dinner in the dining room, if that is where you plan to eat, before I left home. Many people do. Therefore if you wait to make reservations after you arrive, don't be surprised if the choice times are already booked solid.

Although you are from Florida, and have plenty of sunshine, the atmosphere at 8,500 to 9,000 feet is thin and there are few clouds to filter the burning rays of the sun. So sunscreen and lots of it.

Zion is going to be hot. Consider the heat any way you want, dry or humid, but 103 degrees is hot any way you feel it. I suggest an early start in Zion and snooze by the pool, or jump in the pool, in the afternoon.

I agree with the assessment of what do you do with the 2 year old? Some travel well; others are a problem.

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

One more question. How crowded do the parks get at the peak of the summer season? How efficient are the shuttles in Zion?
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 06:24 AM

The parks get crowded in the summer! The N. rim probably won't be as bad as the S. Rim. Capitol Reef probably won't be very crowded either.

The shuttle system in Zion works great but then I haven't been there in the hight of the summer crowd since they started the shuttle system. They run like every 15 minutes so I wouldn't worry about that.

The only difference on your trip I would make would be to cut out one night at the N. Rim and put it in Zion or Capitol Reef, but if you already have your reservations then I would leave it be.

Carry a lot of water and sunscreen & have a great trip!

Utahtea
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 11:08 AM

I just got back from a couple of days at Zion, and was really impressed with the convenience and efficiency of the shuttle system. The first day we were there was a Sunday. A shuttle driver told me they had 26,000 visitors that day. The shuttles were never full, and they ran every 7-10 minutes during peak times. Only once did we think we waited too long. The Bryce system was a mess.