Southernmost point Key West

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Steph

Southernmost point Key West

Has anyone stayed at the Southernmost Point on the Beach Hotel? Is it nice? From what I understand, it isn't really a beach that can be used to swim, right? Is it close to the "good stuff" on Duval? Any other recommendations for hotels with an ocean view, pool and close to Duval?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Barbara

We stayed at the Wyndham which is very close to the Southernmost Point on the Beach Hotel. It is at the opposite end of Duval street and not close to most of the shops and bars. We got the Wyndham on priceline for $90 a night - it has a nice little beach that you can swim in. They have a shuttle that will take you to Mallory Square, but you need a cab to get back.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:37 PM
susan

Unless you like to walk a whole lot, I think you might want to look for something a little closer to the Gulf, which is where all the sunset celebrations and most of the restaurants and tourist activities are.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Lee

I stayed in Key West last summer at one of the townhouses rented out by Center Court Historic Homes. I would highly recommend checking out their website b/c you can view many of their properties. Try using Google to get the website, I don't have it anymore (sorry). The place you are thinking of staying is pretty far from Duvall Street and would be a LONG walk. It's very hot and humid in Key West in the summer, so you probably want to be closer to Duvall if you plan to spend lots of time there. One more thing--Key West does not beaches in the traditional sense. They have to make their own, and many of these are very rocky. You would probably do better to stay somewhere around the Duvall area and just go to Ft. Zachary Taylor State Park for a "beach" experience. Be sure to wear some type of water shoes--those rocks hurt!

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 03:25 PM
kristen

We stayed at the Southernmost Guest House. It was one of the finest lodgings I have ever had. We got the whole top floor- living room, dining room, kitchen, with wrap-around porch, rockers and Hammock- all for under $100 a night. I will probably never stay anywhere else in Key West. Good luck

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 03:38 PM
mack

We walk through it shortly after they finished renovations and it looked really nice!!! We plan on staying there next time. It is only 1/2 block from Duval (I am not sure what Lee is talking about above) and on the quiet side. Probably only a 20 minute walk to the other end but full of all kinds of cute galleries to window shop in.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 06:11 PM
susan

Unless I'm mistaken, the Southernmost Hotel and the Southernmost on the Beach Hotel are sister properties. However, the Southernmost Point Guest House is an entirely separate entity, and I've heard very nice reviews of it.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 06:21 AM
grglnswsh

I went by there this morning and WOW is it nice. The renovations are great! They really sunk a lot of money into the place. The rooms are some of the nicest I have seen here and they have just about amenity one could need. The location is great is you like the quiet side of Duval, if not it is only about a 20 - 25 minute walk to the sunset side with lots to see in between. The pool and beach area looked really nice and I did see people swimming. The only down side is they have very little parking but with the location you really don't need a car.