southern utah

Old May 18th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
southern utah

So the trip is planned. Got tickets, vehicle rental, NP Campsites reserved. Now we just have to wait until mid August. Question-- what to wear? We plan on car/tent camping and a few motels. Full and half day hikes at Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Mesa Verde and the GC. Here in the Northeast where we hike in the Adirondacks, Vermont, New Hampshire, hypothermia is an issue in the Mountains at any time of year. Cotton kills they say, so we tend to wear breathable synthetics and shells. I always carry a wool cap and sweater when peak bagging, even in the summer. We also avoid blue and bright colors in the spring and early summer so as not to help attract the brutal black fly (DEET and head nets are sometimes used as well). Rattlesnakes are rare up here, with a few exceptions, so shorts are a good bet on a hot summer day. Any words of wisdom for our destinations? Thanks. FRED
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

a
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Leave your wool cap at home! It's going to be warm to HOT. Might cool off in the evenings in Bryce and maybe even the Grand Canyon.

Bring or purchase a rain slick or poncho. August can bring thunderstorms. I bring mostly shorts and cotton t-shirts. I roast in anything but cotton in the heat. A couple pairs of jeans, a long sleeve shirt or two, a wind breaker and maybe a little heavier sweater or sweatshirt.

In the summer you won't even want a campfire in Zion and Capitol Reef...it will be to hot even in the evening.

We've been in that area for the last two August and even my DH who hardly ever wears shorts, wore shorts almost the whole time on vacation.

Utahtea
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:21 PM

Your synthetic gear-tops and shorts-will be good-it should keep you relatively dry and comfortable when you're sweating like crazy in the heat. I too am programmed to always prepare for hypothermia, but in August in Utah, it's heat exhaustion you need to take seriously. Bring twice as much water as you'll think you need hiking.

If you're camping at Bryce you may want that wool hat at night.

I've not had problems with blackflies in Utah.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:15 AM

freddle,
We live close to the Adirondacks and spend lots of time hiking and playing there. But have fallen madly in love with southern Utah. Our last two trips have been in early Sept and then late Sept. Weather in early Sept was HOT! Even in Bryce (daytime). I live in shorts while there but my husband wears light colored clothing and hat. We always carry raingear in our daypacks along with LOTS of water. It can get cool in the evenings, especially if camping. Just bring a sweater or jacket and a pair of long pants or sweats. You are gonna love Utah! Capitol Reef is a gem - and not many visitors. You can check out our pictures of last year's trip at
www.pbase.com/peterb - scroll down til you find the utah04 gallery. The previous year's pics are also there if you scroll down further. We also have a trip report posted here - although it is VERY LONG. Just click on my name and scroll way down. You're going to have a great time.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:36 AM

Hi Freddle,

You will have a wonderful time! Snowfall and rain have been in record amounts in southern Utah this year, so we might have some mosquitos/nats even in August which is not usually a big problem.

Sunscreen! Lightweight, breathable hat to keep the sun out of your eyes and off the neck. WATER, WATER, WATER! In our dry climate, people do not realize they are sweating and loosing water. Seriously, take double what you think you need - and drink it all.

Do keep your eyes peeled for rattlesnakes. They will most often be around mornings and early evenings. They usually go someplace cool in the heat of the day. But, you can come across them at any time. Just watch, especially if you are on an infrequently traveled trail.

Have fun!
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

thank you all! FRED
Old May 21st, 2005, 03:53 AM

i've barely seen house flies in utah! i can't imagine needing a head net, i've hiked there many times and many different times of the year i also hike the east, i've never worried about bugs in utah.

in october we had hot weather in capitol reef, hiked only in shorts and light weight tops but had sleeves and hat for sun protection, with a good brim for your eyes. sunscreen of course too.

camping there i usually bring a sheet, and sleep on top of my bag cause its' hot but i still like covers!