Southern U.S. on a budget

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my husband and are in desperate need of a vacation. We are both 32, no kids, and would ideally like to go somewhere with a great beach, culture, good food and adults only. Our only travel experience is a cruise through the caribbean a few years ago and a stop at a few islands. We're not set on any particular destination, just whatever we can make work with a limited budget of $2000-$2500 canadian, (including return air from Ottawa, Ontario canada.) Am I being unreasonable, or is there any way we can make this work? We are looking to travel this february or march for a week. Would love recommendations. Thanks!!
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:40 PM

I don't have any specifics in mind, but I just stopped to encourage you to keep being innovative and to not give up.

The main thing you have going for you is your flexibility. I fear that the major 'beaten paths' are going to prove too costly, and/or uncomfortable in the ways you can afford them.

It would really help to get a break on airfare, AND to have an idea that was quite unique and not the same thing that everyone else is doing (which drives costs up).

To save on costs, maybe a trip of "5 nights" vs. "a week" would make something do-able.

Sounds like renting a car for the trip is not really possible given your cited budget, so you'll need a destination where the airport gets you near enough to your lodging AND to the sights you'll see (beach, hopefully).

One drawback is that the more remote/(off the beaten path) the locale, the more expensive the airfare.

I think that the ideal way to begin your search is to use something like Expedia to research airfares to many different suitable spots on the map of the southern U.S. (coastal cities).

I just used Tampa, Florida as an example... and found RT for two from Ottawa for $817.96.

THEN when you've researched airfares (and beFORE committing to anything)... go to www.biddingfortravel.com and see what rates people are getting on PRICELINE.com in the various cities for hotel rooms.

Tampa area does have St. Petersburg beaches under the "hotel listings for Tampa/St. Petersburg" so you could POSSibly land a hotel at/near the beach for a tolerable cost (maybe 5 nights TOTAL price = $450=500 incl. taxes & fees)

So gosh, IF you could etch such numbers in stone, and KNOW that airfare and lodging would tally, say, $1320... then you'd have perhaps $1000 for daily expenses for two including food and transportation costs, etc.

YOU CAN do it... but you're going to have to be innovative and creative.

Again, good move to establish that you CAN get affordable airfare to a place of your choosing, and THEN once you know you CAN get that airfare, hunt around (I would soooooooo use PRICELINE.com ... and FYI, Canadians need only put in a U.S. zip code to make it work) to get a strong feeling that you CAN find lodging at affordable prices (based on the list of accepted 'bids' at biddingfortravel.com)

THEN, when ready to commit... you first buy your airline tickets... and then use Priceline.com to get hotels for the duration of your trip.

I hope this inspires you... I say that you CAN do it... although I don't know that you want to pick Miami or Ft. Lauderdale like evvvvvveryone else is doing.

good luck !!!

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 01:52 PM

Great beach and good food will be easy to find . . . it's the "culture" and "adults only" part that makes it tricky. And the budget.

You can make it work, but you have to be aware that in February or March, beach weather means central or south Florida (too cold for NC/SC). And Florida in March means spring break and lots of rowdy college kids. You will have to be creative to find a place off the beaten path. Avoid anywhere within 100 miles of Disney or Daytona.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 02:01 PM

Hi TravelRookie,

OK...I have a suggestion. If you are able to get to Plattsburgh Intl airport which isn't too far from Ottawa (I live in Mtl) then you and your husband can get 2 flights to Fort Lauderdale, Florida and a rental car for very cheap through Allegiant Air

I plugged in the following dates: Departing Plattsburgh March 12th
Returning to Plattsburgh March 19th

This gives you 7 full days, you can get a direct flight, plus rental of an economy car (smallest size vehicle) for BOTH of you at a total of 673.00$ incl taxes and fees. This is a great price and would leave you with enough for modest accomodations and a little extra spending money if you budget right.

If you need more info let me know and I can try to help you out as much as I can. Check out the website www.plattsburghinternationalairport.com for more info. I know it's a pain to travel to an airport but you are looking at spring break dates and thats a great deal!

Layla
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 02:11 PM

P.S if you get a deal that includes a car rental, then you can book a hotel that's slightly out of the way but that may be cheaper, it's no big deal if you have to drive 10-15 mins or something if it's saving you $$. My boyfriend and I were just in Ft. Lauderdale last week and we stayed at my grandparent's condo in Plantation, it only takes about 15mins to the beach from there and the hotels are probably cheaper than staying in downtown fort lauderdale.

If you're willing to make a few sacrifices and are open minded then I think you can make this happen

Please let us know if what you decide to do !

Layla
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Fort Lauderdale during spring break?

Have they succeeded in forcing all the high school and college kids to go elsewhere (i.e., Daytona)? If not, bring earplugs and a lot of patience.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 01:02 PM

I agree that it will be a busy time, with lots of younger students on break but you can't beat the airfare + car rental price for 2 soooooo some times, if you're on a budget you have to be willing to sacrifice. I was in Ft Lauderdale and South Beach over winter break, and yes there's lots of people but when there's lots of people there's always stuff going on....it was just a suggestion, the OP doesn't have to choose this as their vacation if it doesn't appeal to them.

Layla