Southern Maine

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern Maine

I'm headed up to the Ogunquit Kennebunkport Portland area for a week. I've spent some time in all of those towns and I'm looking for something "inland" to do on a day or 2.
Any ideas? Museums, parks, nice walking towns, anything? Preferably no more than an hour away.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:56 PM

Portsmouth NH: Prescott Park area for relaxing, walking and looking at the water; Strawbery Banke historic area (admission); general nice downtown area with shops; also Albacore Sub museum; boat tours of harbor and inland rivers.
North of Portland: Rockland- Farnsworth Art Museum and Owl's Head Transportation Museum. (about an hour north of Portland)
More than an hour inland: Shaker Village in Canterbury NH might be worth a visit. Depends on how much you enjoy tours. The Shaker way of life is fascinating, they've invented some wonderful things.
About an hour west of Portland is NH's White Mountains Region/North Conway area.
There are some wonderful end of summer events going on. Look at some events in the area you are visiting. The agricultural fairs have started. You might find a steam powered machinery expo, open farm day, etc.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 02:27 AM

On the road (Rt. 9 I think) from Wells to Kennebunkport, you could visit the Rachel Carson state park or Laudholm Farm which has wonderful trails through what used to be a working farm to the ocean. Both have websites.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Topping right before leaving--any more ideas? Thanks
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:03 AM

If you go to Portsmouth try Rosa's Spaghetti House on State Street. It's near the bridge and Prescott Park. Very nice Italian.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 01:12 PM

If you like shopping head for Freeport Maine, home of L.L. Bean as well as a host of other outlet stores. Not a big outlet mall feel to it at all, it set up more like a main street of shops. Great place to spend $$ the day.