Reload this Page >

Southern California Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Dawn Ct

I am taking my 14 year old son and 14 year old nephew to L.A during April vacation. We plan to stay three nights at the Anaheim Sheraton, visit DCA and Disneyland for two days, Universal Studios for one day and then stay in San Diego for the remaining five. We have two nights booked at the Hotel Del and then have to switch hotels for the remaining three nights. (availability) Right now I have the Coronado Marriott booked but I am considering switching to a more affordable hotel. We will be visiting Seaworld, Wild Animal Park, the Zoo, and other points of interest. We want to stick with the Del due to the history associated with it but the other three nights are open for suggestion. How is Paradise Pointe? Would the boys enjoy that more? Also, any comments on the Sheraton would be appreciated. I chose the Sheraton because I got a decent rate $129 for a club room and boys eat a lot! Thanks,

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 05:59 AM
hmb

Hi Dawn,

I stayed at the Marriott in August and it is a very nice hotel. Be aware that they charge $14 a night to park on the property. You really have no other choice but to park there. The breakfast buffet was tasty, but $20 per person. There is a nice pool area/hot tub and the rooms were average.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Susan

I had a terrible experience at the Paradise Point, and detailed it here in another thread titled "worst hotel experiences" and in Rants and Raves. I wish we could have stayed at the Catamaran. Check it out, the boys will probably enjoy it. Or, maybe the Sheraton would be fine considering the appetites you'll be dealing with ;-).

Take the boys for fish tacos at any of the Rubio's locations. And they might enjoy surfing lessons. Have fun!

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Dawn Ct

Thanks, I will look up your review of Paradise Pointe and take a look at the Catamaran. Where would you recommend surf lessons. My son learned to surf in Hawaii last summer and was thrilled. I am sure he can't wait to do it again.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 10:02 AM
xxx

i was going to recommend the catamaran too - for location, nice pool. or,there is a best western (blue sea lodge maybe???) right on pacific beach. or try the bahia which is affiliated with the catamran. all of these are close to the beach, restaurants, etc. if the boys want to venture out alone they can walk to some excitment. (sorry mom but chances are they are going to want to ditch you once in a while. don't take it personally.)
paradise point is very nice looking hotel with a beach around it but it's a bay so i wouldn't swim in the water. there is not much around there so you'll have to drive whenever you want to go out.
2 nights at the del with be fabulous but again, after that i'd get out of coronado. beautiful place but not too exciting for 14 year olds.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Dawn Ct

I liked the suggestion of leaving Coronado after two days, especially if I can save some $$$. I checked out the Marriott web site for the San Diego Marriott Resort and Marina and found a pre paid rate for $109 per night. I grabbed it.