Reload this Page >

Southern CA- Need a quiet romantic beach getaway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 1998, 06:58 PM
rick

My wife and I are looking for an inn/B & B on the coast near L.A.
for several days in August. We are visiting friends and then would like to get away just the two of us. Laguna Beach and La Jolla were mentioned. La Jolla is too far from LAX, I think. Ritz Carlton and Sea and Sand are too pricey. Do you have any suggestions where else we should consider?

Old Jun 2nd, 1998, 05:18 PM
d.crochetiere

Rick: My wife and I loved the Loew's Santa Monica hotel in Santa Monica. We spent our honeymoon night there. Its not inexpensive but its at the water and the pool area feels like your away from L.A. I've also heard good things about Shutters, another hotel at the beach, though I haven't stayed there (we live in L.A.so dont often stay in local hotels). Finally, for more of a B&B feel we liked the Blue Lantern Inn in Dana Point. Its a smal upscale inn not right on the water but in a fun area. It is romantic. Good luck. David

Old Jun 2nd, 1998, 05:29 PM
kam

Loew's in Santa Monica for sure! Great restaurants in that area too, and you'd never believe you're in LA. (shouldn't say that, I lived there 7 years and loved it, but there are areas-----) Dana Point's nice too--the Blue Lantern--Catalina Island is only 45 min by boat from Long Beach--Doryman's Inn in Newport Beach is romantic, and Laguna Beach is a good destination but beware of the noise from PCH continually day and night--I think it's Eiler's Inn that all the rooms face the ocean rather than PCH. I love Laguna but it's probably the only place in world where I can't sleep at night (other place is St. Helena in the wine country because of trucks on Rt. 29----enjoy. But, if budget permits,I would stay at the Loew's. Have lunch at Ivy at the Shore and there's a super Venetian restaurant in Sta. Monica. Also Gilliland's. YUM--I must be hungry!!

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 01:10 PM
Steph

We stayed at the Surf & Sand Hotel in Laguna Beach on Labor Day weekend. Didn't notice town noise while sleeping because all rooms have balcony facing water which is literally feet from the hotel. All we could hear at night was the sound of the waves crashing - ahhh! The rooms at this hotel are absolutely gorgeous too, and we had a wonderful breakfast at their outdoor cafe. Their is also lunch and dinner dining too and very good food! It's a little pricey - don't know what your budget is, and though not a B & B very lovely place - would have loved this for our honeymoon. There's also a bar that looks out onto the beach/ocean that has great fufu drinks and appetizers and a salt water pool.

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 07:54 PM
Lee

Loew's is wonderful. A smaller fine, fine romantic hotel is Shutter's at the Beach in Santa Monica. It is first class. You never know what celebrity or international political figure you may see in the fine dining room. It is not inexpensive, but it is the BEST!