Search

Southeastern states road trip help needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 01:29 PM
TAW
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southeastern states road trip help needed

Retired couple love to do road trips and are just beginning to plan for next April/May trip.
We were thinking about flying in/out of Atlanta, GA and doing sort of a clockwise circle to include Knoxville (visit friends there),and we want to go to Ashville & Charlotte, NC, possibly Virginia - Appalachian Trail, etc, definitely want to see the coasts of NC, SC, GA & Fl down to the Keys and back up the west coast of Fl to return to Atlanta to fly home. Would about mid April into May be decent weather for this? We prefer to avoid the busier 'high season' times but yet go when things are still open. Like to avoid really crowded areas and extreme temps in weather (below 50-55 or over 85-90)and rainy seasons.
My question is does this seem doable over about 4 weeks? That's about our limit for trips. We like to stay at least 2-4 nights each place we stop unless we're just trying to get to a specific destination. We enjoy site seeing, some history/museums, hanging out on the beach, meeting new people, photography, and some light to moderate hiking/walking.
All comments appreciated and welcomed. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:36 PM

I highly recommend Microsoft Streets & Trips software. I've been using this for many years and cannot imagine planning a trip, even to a single destination, without it.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:40 PM

4 weeks is a lot of time. You can definitely do your itinerary within that time frame. I mean, one can circle the whole US in 4 weeks pretty comfortably if they want to.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:35 AM

Keep in mind this is prime festival time for much in this area - dogwood festival, azalea festival, home and garden shows - a very lovely time to vist but accommodations can and do book up in/near their sites quickly. Knoxville and the surrounding mountains are popular for the wildflowers, Charleston has their home and garden show from mid-March to end of April or so, not sure about Fl. It is a wonderful time to see this part of the country - I would just caution that the next 2 months is not too soon to make reservations if you can pin down where you will be when.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 09:52 AM

I can speak for the SC coast. (Yes, I have that power.)

April & May is a great time of year weatherwise. Just make sure you clear the Myrtle Beach area by mid-May to avoid the two motorcyle rallies that occur the last half of the month (unless you like that sort of thing!)
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:38 AM
TAW
Original Poster

Thanks for telling me about the motorcycle rally...I will avoid that for sure. However some of the flower festivals would be nice.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:54 AM

We did a similar 4-week circle trip, beginning from Tennessee, Virginia, and up to DC and back. We had a very loose itinerary, stopping in towns if we liked the area. One afternoon it got late so we decided to spend a night in Charlottesville Va. There was a JEEP convention in town, and every hotel room was booked up for the weekend. We stopped at several hotels and motels and each one said they had no rooms. Then my husband stood at the front desk at one Holiday Inn and as he waited to talk to the clerk, she took a phone call for someone who happened to cancel their reservations, late in the afternoon. As soon as she hung up, my husband asked for that room. It turned out to be their last room, the one they save for handicapped guests.

My advice is to check the towns you will travel through and like ausc59 said, check to see if there is something going in advance or you may find yourself out of luck with hotel rooms. Also, near the end of May is rainy season in Orlando--seems it always rains around 3 pm for about an hour, like clockwork! You may want to plan the Florida portion early in your itinerary.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 12:12 PM

I just love a powerful man, beach dweller!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 01:39 PM

The last of March through April is the very best time to visit Savannah, Ga. The azaleas are in bloom and the other spring flowers and dogwoods are doing their best to dazzle. You need to make your reservations early here too. It's worth it!!!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:08 AM

Starrsville,

I have to admit that my wife temporarily ceded that power to me.

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Good women and powerful men - what a grand combination!
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM

You should have great weather for this trip. The mountains might be a little cool but you won't have the humidity of Ga/FL yet. Savannah will be beautiful this time of year so be sure to spend a few days there. Also try to make a day trip to Cumberland Island, Georgia. You will need reservations for the ferry ride so plan ahead. Another stop you could make is St Augustine, FL.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 10:55 AM

All good advice.

I would join those who suggest leaving a little earlier as it can be hot in May in Florida, especially if you are coming from the far north.

Here is a slightly different take. Fly into Dulles. Take US 17 across Virginia to the coast, and down the North Carolina coast, ultimately to Charleston, Beaufort, and Savannah. This is -- once you get beyond Fredericksburg -- a lovely off the beaten track route with lots of things to see and all the Spanish moss you can handle.

From Savannah, take horrible I-95 to FL A1A just north of Jacksonville, and follow it through Fernandina Beach and Amelia Island to Saint Augustine. Then back on 95 to the Keys.

Leave the Keys. Take US 41 across the Everglades to Naples. Then horrible I-75 north to US 441 just below Lake City, FL.

Follow 441 to Dublin, Milledgville, and Madison, GA. From Madison, you can go into Atlanta on I-20, then north to Knoxville on wretched I-75 again.

From Knoxville, go east on I-40 through the Smokies to Asheville, where you can visit Biltmore. Then you can take the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive back to northern Virginia, stopping at Charlottesville and Monticello before turning in the car at Dulles.

You are likely to need reservations along I-75 since many "snowbirds" will be on their way north, but you shouldn't need them elsewhere.

The one negative about this trip (and I did a big portion of it this year at roughly the same time) is also one of the positives: a lot is in bloom (good) but if you have allergies to plants, flowers, and trees, be prepared! When I do some of it next year, I will start allegy medicine a couple of weeks in advance.

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 11:01 AM

If Charleston is on your itinerary, buy a copy of "Mrs Whaley's Charleston Gardens" before you go. Great read about a great place. Little or nothing to do with gardens, everything to do with what Charleston is all about.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 11:06 AM

A couple of spots which might fit your itinerary:
1. Mt.Airy, NC just off I-77, the original Mayberry. www.visitmayberry.com
2. Winston-Salem, NC just off I-40/US 52 which has a marvelous historical area, Old Salem
3. The New River Trail from Galax to Pulaski, VA. Great for walking, biking, etc. Stay at chestnut creek cabins.
4. Floyd, VA for some of the best bluegrass in the world. Friday night.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 01:27 PM

With 4 weeks for your trip stay off the horrible and wretched Interstate Highways as much as possible. That way you can see more of Small Town America in the South.... If you are AAA members get their maps and Tour Books, hard to beat. Florida can get a bit hot in May. If at all possible do that part in late March - early April.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:32 AM
TAW
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I am in the process of ordering maps and travel guides from each state and will get the AAA stuff, too. Yes, we do try to stay off the interstates as much as possible - much more enjoyable to use alternate routes. Thanks for the suggestions to fly into Dulles to include VA in our trip. I'm looking into that. As for time of year we've decided to start late March/early April based on info about weather from these posts. Thanks again!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:37 PM

One more word of Caution-
Savannah has a HUGE St. Patricks Day Parrty in March....you will never find a room at that time.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:42 PM

If you take the route suggested by ackislander, in addition to Monticello there is Montpelier (Madison) and the Natural Bridge that still bears Washington's initials carved in stone. The bridge has a fairly easy hike along the river and into caves (our kids were little and they were able to make the entire hike).
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 11:11 AM
TAW
Original Poster

Well, I just booked my air...got a good deal nonstop into IAD for about $310/pp RT from west coast. Our dates are April 17 thru May 15. Next step is planning route and where to stay, etc.
Please keep the suggestions coming...TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -