Search

south lake tahoe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
south lake tahoe

We are making a last minute trip driving from South Lake Tahoe to Yosemite. What is the best park entrance and driving time. Also what would be the most convenient place to find lodging outside the park as I doubt lodging will be available inside the park?
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 08:20 PM

There are always last minute lodging cancellations so you should check www.yosemitepark.com for park lodging. Otherwise check Yosemite View in El Portal

If you are going soon you should head west on 50 to 89 in Meyers turn left and take 89 to Jackson where you will turn left onto 49. Take 49 to 120. Enter the park via Big Oak Flat entrance. It's about 4 hours
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 10:20 AM

Link to Yosemite View lodging website as well as other available lodging in the area:

http://www.yosemiteresorts.us/index.htm
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure how long it would take to traverse across the park to the Big Oak Flat entrance , but we can make that in about 4 hours? And is that a good jumping off point to see the most popular views of the park? We'll be going May 17.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 07:54 AM

The drive is, of course, dependent upon your driving style, whether you plan to stop along the way and the weather. If you budget 4 to 5 hours you should be in the valley by then.

By last minute I am assuming you mean soon. In that case the only entrances available to you are on the west side of the park. The easiest for you to get to from Tahoe is the Big Oak Flat. It is on the north west side. If you want a different entrance you can go to Arch Rock off 140. Take 50 to 99 to Merced and then 140 into the park. This route is nearly 6 hours if you do not stop along the way.

You can get more information on teh Yosemite web site:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/index.htm
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 08:26 AM

Ah I see May 17th. Entrances open will all be located on the west side.

Big Oak Flat is a fine entrance. You will go directly to the valley after passing the locked gates to 120 over Tioga Road.

The park should be quite beautiful - lots of snow at the higher elevations, roaring waterfalls, maybe water in the parking lots due to run off. Seasonal waterfalls will likley be visible, like Ribbon Falls. The Merced River will be flowing fast.

Check for last minute lodging cancellations in the park. It happens all the time.