Reload this Page >

South Haven or Saugatauk inns?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 08:49 AM
r cruse

Any suggestions for lodgings and tourist activities in South Haven or Saugatuck MI? How is august in Michigan?

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 10:13 AM
Marta

The Park House in Saugatuck is a great B&B. They have a website which is www.theparkhouse.com. Be sure to eat at Clementine's in South Haven. The weather in Michigan in August is perfect! It never gets toooo hot. Oval Beach in Saugatuck is a good beach to relax on. You can walk for miles. E mail me if you have additional questions. I've been going to Saugatuck every summer for 7 years.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 11:55 AM
Nancy

I live in South Haven, so of course I choose South Haven over Saugatuck.

August in Michigan is great! The water in Lake Michigan is at its' warmest of the year, so all types of beach activities are in their prime. South Haven has a lovely lighthouse and pier, along with a developed harbor area. And the sunsets are beautiful.

Also, this is orchard country, so there are early apples, peaches and pears that you can buy roadside.

Lodging can be very touch and go this time of year, as places are most likely already booked. In South Haven at least, we have a Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn *ick*, lots of cottages and B&Bs within two blocks of Lake Michigan. You don't say how long you plan on staying. My first choice is to get a cottage on or near the beach to take advantage of the water. You're looking at $1,000/week minimum for a fully furnished place.

Saugatuck and its companion town, Douglas make a great place to go for the afternoon to take in some interesting shopping.

As far as other tourist activities, you can visit a winery in Fennville. Also, don't miss the home-baked pies and breads at Crane's Pie Pantry in Fennville.

If you would like more information, you can email me.

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 04:15 PM
r cruse

thank you marta for the great info. I certainly will check out the park house.

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 04:18 PM
r cruse

thank you nancy for the great advice on south haven. We only plan on a 2 day visit, so your info was great I just hope we can find a place to stay.

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No question in MY mind: Stay at Yelton Manor B&B in South Haven. But don't let that stop you from driving a few miles (15 minutes, max) to enjoy all the fun and shopping in Saugatuck and Douglas. South Haven also has a more accessible beach and certainly some shopping of its own, but the real destination is The Yelton Manor. Trust me on this, I love B&Bs and this one is TOPS. Try to get there when the summer gardens are blooming for an extra treat.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 08:59 AM
JJ5

I also second the notion of staying South Haven, especially in summer high season. Saugatuck is way too crowded for me, and South Haven's beach is better.

These places are quite crowded with families in August. The beach can be cheek to jowl- just want to warn you, if you don't know. That's why it is nice to get a B&B with its own beach or beach access down to the beach (usually steps). I bought a Michigan B&B book many years ago and found some little know gems. I prefer those as most of Michigan in summer and especially close to the lake is too crowded for me to enjoy. Others absolutely do not feel that way, but I do. Saugatuck is the most crowded and has the most shoppers.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 09:08 AM

FYI - This post is almost 5 years old!

Innlover has been bumping old posts about South Haven today to post about the Yelton Manor. This is the first day Innlover has posted anything to fodors.

Draw your own conclusions . . .
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:11 AM

HEY! I also adore The Yelton Manor B&B. This is HANDS DOWN the best inn in MIchigan. It's a quick two hours from Chicago to the prettiest sandy beach there is. Hosts are wonderful, gardens are fantastic, food is great, decor is rich, comfortable. I happily recommend this marvelous inn.