South East Alaska Questions

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Interested

South East Alaska Questions

Interested in seeing the Southeast part of Alaska, Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, etc. but don't want to take a cruise through the inside passage. Does it make any sense to fly into and out of Juneau and then plan a 7 or 8 day trip in late May, early June by using Juneau as a center for day trips? Is it possible/worthwile to stay 3-4 days in Juneau and then also Ketchikan or Skagway? (Already looked at the smaller cruise ships that do 5/6 day iteneraries (Cruisewest, Clipper) and they seem kind of pricey.)

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Rupert Murdoch

ttt

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Scott McMurren

Good questions which I should know the answers to, but I don't

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 02:07 PM
James

I was actually looking at the same thing the other day. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Interested

Can anyone help me?

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Donna F

Look into the Alaska State Ferry. We took the ferry from Bellingham, WA to Skagway. With the ferry, you will be able to design your own schedule and it is a means of transportation with Alaskans. There is a website with schedules posted. We opted to pay for a cabin but you can also sleep in deck chairs or put up a small tent in the fan tail area. We were told that cabins sell out early for summer months on the route we took but there were plenty of passengers 'roughing it' and the ferry has public bathrooms, etc.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Interested

Thanks for the reply, but I was wondering if anyone did this kind of trip without using the ferry, or just for very limited parts of the trip like Juneau to Skagway and then plane back to Juneau.