Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

what's the smartest way to get to NJ from JFK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2010, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to reach Tenafly , arriving at JFK about 230pm
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 04:45 AM

Rent a car.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 04:50 AM

It really depends on how many you are and what you're going to do once in Tenafly. If you're staying there, you'll need a car to get around unless you're staying with friends/family. If you don't need/want a car, then get yourself to Manhattan by taxi, train or bus (again which is best depends on how many you are) and from Manhattan, use njtransit.com trip planner to see what's best near your Tenafly address. It could be train, it could be bus. It could be, wherever you're going isn't near either.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 05:01 AM

You can get an estimate on a car service from some of the companies provided on the link I posted yesterday when you asked basically the same question on another thread.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 07:36 AM

I've found your other post in which you mention Highwood st. in Tenafly. There is no Highwood st. but there is a Highwood Ave. (and yes it does make a difference here). Have no idea where you're staying as there are NO hotels near there, but it's almost impossible to get there by public transportation in any reasonable amount of time. It sounds like you really do need to rent a car to get there. If that's not possible, get a quote from dial7.com and carmellimo.com or if you are staying in a nearby hotel, find out if they have a recommended car service.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 08:04 AM

You don't need to rent a car to get there. Smartest would be one of the multiple car services that operate in the NY area. That said, you're going to need a car once in Tenafly as the suburbs of New Jersey aren't exactly the easiest places to get around without a car. Might as well get it at the airport and kill two birds with one stone.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 10:22 AM

You haven;t given a lot of info for us to work with. Can only reinforce that getting around NJ without a car is extremely difficult. So unless you are staying in a contained conference center with meals (not aware there is such in Tenafly, but there may be) or with relatives who will drive you everywhere, you are going to need a car.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 10:26 AM

From yesterday's thread:

"We are 3 people travelling with 1 suitcase & 3 small wheelie bags, looking to get to Highwood street in Tenafly at about 330pm from JFK airport. Any ideas? Economy is the key ...Also not too hassly ..it'll be after a straight 20 hours of flying . How much would a cab cost to do it all the way? Our first time in the USA. HELP!!"
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 12:15 PM

Note my reply on the NJ forum. (http://bit.ly/dk73X3) It can be done via public transportation, but it's hardly hassle-free!

The car service I researched was Dial7.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 05:39 PM

Do NOT take a cab - NYC cabs charge double the meter once outside the city (since they can;t pickup in Jersey and have to return empty). The cost would be huge. If you aren;t going to rent a car (but not sure what you will do there without a car - or why you're staying there) go to the websites of a couple of car companies (Dial 7 or Carmel and get an estimate of price). Note that in addition to the quoted price you will have to pay tolls ($14 or so) plus tip (20% is standard, esp if they help with luggage.

You can get to Tenalfy by public transti but it will be very long and complicated - and not sure how close public transit is to where you want to stay. Do realize this is complete suburbia and without a car you will have a very difficult time getting around.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 10:38 AM

I have taken NYC taxis from JFK to towns near Tenafly. The drivers usually go by a book that suggests the taxi fare but also negotiate. I would not go by the meter in this situation.

I have not seen the rates published on the taxi commission website, but I have paid between $80-100, not including tip. In the end, it is almost the same as calling one of the local NJ car services.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 04:22 PM

The law for NYC cabs - if they decide to take you to jersey (many won;t go and they don;t have to) is meter while in the city and double the meter once outside the city. I would imagine this trip with toll and tip would be in the range of $120, including tip and toll.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Hey guys, thx a mill. Only reason we are going there is to visit a cuz & once there I guess we'll be going out in their car. Its basically a question of getting to their res.
And McLaurie , ur right, it is Highwood Avenue. Am just so daunted, as my first time in the US & tho we r seasoned travellers, the getting to Manhattan etc seems quite hassly as bspielman said.

So heres another question(thx for being so patient).. carmel quotes about 87$ for the trip (online)for a sedan, plus toll/tips. Is it poss to book with them on arrival n not before? They havent replied to the mail I sent them. Any idea what the total shd add up to?
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Its quite a new one to read about cabs changing their fare basis outside the city!! Thx for the alert.

Is carmel a reliable service? do u hv any feedback fm customers by any chance?
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 11:46 AM

Tolls would probably be to get you there and to get them back to Manhattan.

So....the route would probably be over the:

Throggs Neck Bridge and George Washington Bridge (two ways):

Approx. $18 for tolls.

Say about $100 for the total trip to NJ.

-john
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM

Cabs charging double outside the city isn;t new - it's been the law forever. They are not allowed to pick up fares outside NYC - so you have to pay for their trip back to the city line empty.

For the price from Dial you need to add a 20% tip to the basic fare ($87 plus $15 at least) plus another $14 in tolls (Triborough Bridge, then G Washington Bridge) for a total of $120 or so.
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 06:07 PM

milanv, Carmel is a well-known car service and is on the Port Authority list. It, like Dial7, is very likely to be reliable. In either case (or with any other reputable car service; check out the list of Port Authority-approved ones here: http://bit.ly/dz42A6), you'd be better off reserving in advance. That way, the usual arrangement is for you to pass through customs with your baggage, then call them. Once you get to the curbside (or the appointed meeting place) they'll be there (or only a few minutes away) to pick you up. There's really no point in paying extra to have a driver park his car, then come inside the terminal to greet you after customs, sign in hand.

nytraveler's estimate of the total cost is on the money. I'd suspect that a driver would opt for the Triborough Bridge (now known as the RFK Bridge) rather than the Throgs Neck because the former would require less travel on I-95 (you might see it on maps labeled as the Cross Bronx Expressway and the Trans-Manhattan Expressway). It's this stretch that a recent study listed as the highway with the greatest number of highly-congested hours per week in the United States. Although it is unavoidable, the less mileage on it, the better. Most drivers and cabbies know this.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 02:52 PM

why hassle with NYC traffic--id take the staten island bridge to I95N
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 02:34 AM
J62

JFK to Tenafly via Staten Island. No way. It's double the distance vs taking the GWB.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Um, first of all, Staten Island IS New York City.

Second, anyone who's tried to cross it a rush hour will tell you it takes forever. Separately, Tenafly is nowhere near Staten Island - it's way far north of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -