Reload this Page >

South Carolina Weekend Trip ?'s

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 06:50 PM
anonxx

I will be on a business trip to Greenville, SC the week of March 18, and decided to take my teenage daughter with me. Neither of us have ever been to SC. What do you recommend for a 1-2 day side trip? Charleston? (she loves Gone With the Wind, and would enjoy a city tour if there is one) Mountains? Beach? Any other suggestions? Can you recommend a nice safe hotel in either Charleston or Greenville? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help!

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asheville is a lot closer (than Charleston)and there's a lot to do. Have you been to the Biltmore House before?
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:01 PM

If she is in to city tours and the like, Charleston has plenty of them choose your preference- by bus, by carriage, by foot, by trolley, by boat there are city tours galore. The Plantation houses are also beautiful, the gardens are in great bloom! Magnolia Plantation and Middleton Plantation have BEAUTIFUL gardens, very southern!
It is also just fun to walk the streets of charleston, Tradd Street is my favorite, beautiful houses, secret gardens! There are nice beaches, Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island, or Folly Beach only 20 minutes away- two destinations in one!
There are lots of threads on hotels, I'm not an expert there. There are some nice chain hotels in Mount Pleasant which is half way between downtown Charleston and Isle of Palms.

Since you are in Greenville the mountains are closer, lots of trails for hiking if you would rather. Raven Cliff Falls is beautiful and a moderate 2 mile hike.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Rethinking, I also agree with starrsville, Asheville is close and very unique. It is the waterfall capital of the East!
Good luck with the decision
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 03:28 AM

Asheville is a little closer but Charleston is far more unique and especially historic-plus good shopping. Also a young person's town in some ways. Don't know where they are coming from, but I'd choose Charleston.
And Biltmore House is almost a yawn to me, let alone a teen. Hate to finally admit that and I even know some of the family. They have done a huge service to restore it.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 05:14 AM

If she is expecting the plantation house to look like the ones in Gone With The Wind, she will be disappointed. Prepared her for red brick with no columns.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 05:40 AM
GoTravel

What? Red brick plantations?

Most original plantation houses burnt to the ground because they were made out of wood. Very few survived intact. When they were rebuilt, some were rebuilt with brick.

Tara from Gone With The Wind was made up by Hollywood. It was their idea of what a plantation house should look like not what they actually looked like.

Now it is a dead metaphor for a large home.