South Carolina Beach in June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the water warm in June? We are thinking of traveling to Hilton Head area, but we want the beach and water to be very warm.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Sunnyboy

Daytime temperatures will be warm but water is likely to still be on the cool side in June. Go at the very end of June or early July for warmer water and in August for the warmest water.

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

How warm is the outside temperature during the day in June compared to August?
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 03:10 PM
GoTravel

There isn't enough difference in the tempurature for you to be able to tell the difference. June is very hot, very humid, and very sticky. Ocean temp should be in mid 80s by mid June.

It does not cool down here at night. Expect temps to stay in the 80s at night.

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

How about Whitewater rafting temperatures. Would that be cool in June too? If we go in August instead, are we approaching hurricane season?
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:21 AM
GoTravel

Whitewater rafting adventures usually get their whitewater from melting snow so the water will be frigid.

June is hurricane season.

Hurricane season is from June 1 through December 1 however tropical depressions, tropical storms and hurricanes occur outside that time frame. June 1 through Dec 1 is the busiest time of year for hurricanes.

If you want to avoid hurricanes, I suggest you skip the East and West Coast of the US, the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, the Banana Republics, the north coast of South America, Hawaii, the Pacific Rim and keep in mind hurricanes travel inland.

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:10 AM

to recap:

air temps about the same June thru August.

Ocean water temps quite a bit warmer in August than June (takes longer to heat up a rather big body of water!)but June is warm enough to swim IMO.

The water in mountain rivers will take your breath away any time of year. Try not to fall out of the raft.

Hurricanes are more likely in late August through Oct, although they are possible outside that time frame.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 08:22 AM

We went to Hilton Head the last week of May a couple of years ago. I had been worried about the temperature too but all the averages indicated it should be fine. Well we were unlucky and the temperature that week was below average (high in the low 70s and the ocean temparture was way too cold for swimming). DH refuses to go back early in the summer (we now go at the end of August). I realize our experience was not typical, but as it is always a possibility, be prepared so it doesn't ruin your trip.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 10:28 AM
GoTravel

Our yearly average water tempurature is 69 degrees which is much warmer than some places ever see even at the height of the summer.

SEASONAL WEATHER
Month Avg High
Temp. Avg LowTemp. Avg Water

January 60° 39° 52°
February 63° 41° 54°
March 69° 47° 59°
April 76° 54° 67°
May 82° 62° 75°
June 87° 69° 82°
July 91° 72° 84°
August 91° 72° 84°
September84° 68° 80°
October 77° 58° 73°
November 69° 48° 63°
December 62° 41° 54°

Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

I live in San Diego, so I'm used to cool ocean water. It sounds like very similar temperatures. We will probably just lie around the beach anyway..maybe just get our toes wet. Hope the Marriott has a heated pool (we're trying out the new Surfwatch opening in June.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:41 AM
GoTravel

LaMesan, there is no way that a pool in South Carolina will be heated by anything other than the sun in June.

Our water temps and air temps are nothing like yours in California because:

a) The humidity cranks up the heat to the point it feels 10-20 degrees warmer. Remember, it isn't the heat, it is the humidity.

b) The Gulfstream, which is the largest and fastest moving body of water in the oceans, warms our water temps up quite quickly. South Carolina sits on an ocean 'ledge' that extends 50 miles or so offshore which also helps our ocean water heat up quite quickly.

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I don't mind humidity at all as long as it's warm. If it heats the water to a warmer temp, that's fine with me. The Marriott boasts heated pools at their vacation resort properties... is this not true? I like it like bath water.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:00 PM
GoTravel

LaMesan, the sun will have heated the water up in the pool to around 88 degrees while the ocean temps should be near the mid 80s.

Yes, it will be warm.

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We were in Hilton Head the third week of June in 2003. The ocean water was like a bath tub. I do not like to swim in cold water (grew up in NJ and it can be chilly). It was very warm. So, if it was warm enough for me, than I am sure it will be warm enough. The daytime temps were warm 85 degrees. You will have a great time!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:21 AM

I know the average temperatures look pretty close for June, July and August, but I have found in 30 years of visiting there (from Michigan) that June has been warm but not with the intense stickiness of mid-July and later. In my experience, the water has always been warm enough by then. Freak weather patterns do happen, however. One visit the second week of August was so cool we wore sweatshirts and jeans the entire time!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:40 AM

It is highly unlikely that a hurricane will disrupt your travel plans for June. Although it is hurricane season the water is not warm enough yet in the tropics and that is mostly what gives FL,SC and NC our hurricanes. June is only slightly better than later in the summer. As other post-ers have pointed out it is hot and muggy but if you are by the ocean you will have a good breeze and not mind as much.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 04:25 PM

We are from San Francisco and went to Kiawah Island, South Carolina in late June a couple of years ago. The ocean water felt like bath water to us. If you are used to Pacific waters, you will definitely feel the water there is warm enough. I even walked in the water at night since it was warm and calm.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 05:06 PM

Go Travel...Why would you tell someone to stay away from the West Coast because of hurricanes? The west coast usually only rains in the winter.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:35 AM
GoTravel

Hurricanes occur on the West Coast and are called Typhoons. My point is to not avoid a place simply because a hurricane may happen.

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:39 AM
GoTravel

dsgmi, may I ask when and where you were that you were able to wear sweatshirts and jeans in South Carolina in August?

In living here most of my life except for a few summers away, June has always been miserably hot and I've never worn jeans in the summer let alone a sweatshirt. I'm speaking of being outside. Inside you need a sweater or sweatshirt to ward off the frigid AC.

Our average daily high in August is 91 degrees not factoring in the heat index. The heat indices usually keeps the temps in the 100s and the ocean water temp keeps night time temps in the 80s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -