COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

South Beach with family???

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 07:04 PM
Al

South Beach with family???

We are planning a trip to Orlando then Miami. We have three daughters 17,15, and 11. We want to stay somewhere fun and interesting in Miami and are thinking about South Beach. Our travel agent has advised against staying in South Beach. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 04:13 AM
Hope

Did your travel agent give you a reason? We were in South Beach last November very briefly and intend to return to spend more time; the art deco restoration of the area is outstanding; the restaurants were great, the beach is lovely.

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 10:28 AM
val

I wholeheartedly agree with your travel agent. South Beach doesn't have a whole lot to offer families. If you want beaches with lots of surrounding activities, I would say try Fort Lauderdale. There's great restaurants up and down the strip; Las Olas Riverfront isn't too far off, with great shows at the Broward Center for Performing Arts, trendy yet family friendly restaurants (try Himmarshee; it's great. Eat New American cuisine on the balcony and people watch), a 23 screen movie theater with stadium seating nearby; also the Discovery Museum is great for kids (has a cool IMAX theater); daytrip to South Beach for breakfast on the sidewalk at one of the cafes (We like one called The Colony) on the beach and to admire the art deco architecture(you don't want to be there at night for the raunchy club scene). Good luck!

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 02:00 PM
jayne

If your children were younger, I'd agree with your travel agent, but I think your girls would love South Beach. My husband and I and our 15 year old daughter stayed there in March (overnighting on the way back from Nassau), and it was one of the highlights of the trip for all of us. It's unique and exciting which teens love, not to mention the shopping until all hours and the hundreds of restaurants. I guess the club scene is raunchy, but the bouncers won't let underage kids anywhere near even the areas around the clubs. They're just fun to peek in, listen to the music, and watch the parade of people. We stayed at a mid-priced art deco hotel which we loved--can't remember the name but if you e-mail me, I'll look it up for you.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 06:07 AM
Jenny

Be aware that there is topless bathing on the beaches in South Beach. Not a big deal for most people, but offensive to some, especially with children.