South Beach info

Dec 28th, 1999, 07:01 PM
Leslie

South Beach info

My husband & I plan on spending 2 nights in South Beach in February. We need hotel recommendation, restaurants and clubs. We dont have much time there and want "not to be missed" recommendations. Thanks

Dec 29th, 1999, 04:11 PM
BP

Hotel depends how much you want to spend -- I'm a budget person, like the Penguin, Beachcomber and Brigham Gardens, a funky B&B w/ a pretty courtyard. All are very nice for a reasonable rate. My two favorite restaurants are Balans on Lincoln Rd. Mall ($25 will get you a really wonderful meal, including appetizer and cocktail) and Puerto Sagua (Cuban institution, try the plaintain omelet) Pacific Time has wonderful food but more around $40-50 a person minimum. NOA (Noodles of America) is v. chic, the staff is nice and I love the jade pesto noodles.
The Wolfsonian Museum is also worth checking out if you have time during the day. The guy who started it collected all kinds of neat stuff on his world travels, from subway turnstiles to Norwegian art.

Dec 29th, 1999, 05:56 PM
Joe

Brunch at the News Cafe is always fun.
If you want to do some shopping, don't miss Lincoln Road.

I will second the nomination for the Beachcomber and Brigham Gardens as best bets for budget 'Deco' hotels.

I was there last February, and the days were mild and pleasant, but the evenings got chilly (low 50's). It was a bit too windy and cool to spend the whole day on the beach. But, I had a great time anyway!

Dec 30th, 1999, 05:26 PM
Dru

Leslie, once you get to your hotel, ask the hotel staff about clubs, etc. Depending on what your interests are they will be able to steer you in the right direction. If you can get to the Coconut Grove area, you will also find lots of cafes, shops, etc. It's a lot of fun too, but get good directions as it has a seedy section. If you are into museums, check out "Vizcaya". It's an historic mansion (filled with paintings, furniture, etc.) with beautiful gardens (has been the backdrop for several films). If interested, do a search on a search engine. Have fun whatever you decide to do.

Dec 31st, 1999, 09:29 AM
KJOHNSON

We just got back and stayed at La Flora for two nights. Its at 12th and Collins and we booked through a consolidater over Christmas for $130 per night. Nice little bar in the hotel and a wonderful Continental breakfast is included--it has a very European feel.

If money is no object, I would recommend the Tides as a hotel.

We had dinner at Spiga (12th and Collins) and Nemo(2nd and Collins) both were very good (and included in Fodor's 2000 Miami guide) but neither was a "can't miss". Joe's Stone Crab for a 2:00 p.m. late lunch (less of a wait). It is touristy and sometimes gets put down for it (and it can be a long wait) but they do what they do very well. Wolfies Deli is "old Miami" beach at its best and worst. Sandwich prices, however, are ridiculous.

Happy Hour outside at the Clevelander (5-7 I think) in the heart of Ocean Drive was fun. Not chic by any means, but you can watch people go by, drink cheap drinks, and eat oysters or clams for $4 a dozen.

A stroll down Lincon Road for shopping is a can't miss. We did not go, but have heard good things about Yucca a Cuban restaurant on Lincoln Road.

A word to the wise--even for two people some places add in a service charge. Check you bill before throwing on the 20% tip.

Pendrods is a definite miss, service was awful.