Search

South Beach Info

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Beach Info

We will be docking at the Port of Miami in the early morning and flying out of FLL in the late afternoon in early January. Last year when we had the same travel plans we rented a car and went to South Beach for brunch, enjoyed the area and then traveled north to the airport. It was such a lovely day we have decided to do the same this year. My question is this...last year we took a cab from the port and picked up the rental car some where in the vicinity of south beach (I do not remember the exact location). Our cab driver that day told us that we would have done much better to have picked up our rental at the Miami Airport. As I am getting our plans set this year I remembered that and looked at the map. It just does not make any sense to me. Can someone tell me what I am missing or was this cab driver just wrong??? One more question. I am not able to locate my information from last year and would love some help remembering the name of wonderful restaurant we had brunch in. I am thinking it was News Cafe. Can anyone tell me if I am right and what the address might be? Also, we parked in a parking garage that was somewhat close. Any idea what street that might have been on?
THANKS!
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 09:27 AM

Perhaps the cab driver meant it would be cheaper to pick up at the car at the airport. But you are right it's out of the way from the Port to South Beach.

But I think you should forget the Car and take UBer. You won't waste time picking up the car and then looking for parking. And you won't have to worry about paying for parking (which the prices just went up, thanks city of Miami Beach.)

News Cafe is on 8th and Ocean. I believe the garage is on 6th and Collins, if you do get a car.

My fave brunch on Ocean Drive is Front Porch Cafe. Yummy pancakes!! It's around 14th and Ocean to a bit further up that News.

http://www.frontporchoceandrive.com/

If you wanted another option.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure why it would be cheaper to pick up a car at the airport since there may very well be airport concession fees added onto the total rental because of the pick-up location.

Not sure just how long you might have to wait for some Uber driver to show up at the port and if there are cabs there waiting why not take one to South Beach and THEN get an Uber driver to take you to the airport in Fort Lauderdale?
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

I thought the same about getting Uber at the port. I think that we would take a cab either to the airport or to South Beach. Looking at the map what the cab driver said makes absolutely no sense to me. I am just wondering what the fare would be from South Beach to FLL. It seems to me that we took a cab a few years ago and it was more than the cost of a rental for one day.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

I thought the same about getting Uber at the port. I think that we would take a cab either to the airport or to South Beach. Looking at the map what the cab driver said makes absolutely no sense to me. I am just wondering what the fare would be from South Beach to FLL. It seems to me that we took a cab a few years ago and it was more than the cost of a rental for one day.
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 04:03 PM

News cafe to FLL right now comes up at $31-$41.