Sonoma, Mendocino Coast and Redwoods NP

Mar 11th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Sonoma, Mendocino Coast and Redwoods NP

Please any advice on the following would be great: I am looking for a vacation in CA that will give us incredible scenic beauty, nice beaches, not a lot of crowds, wilderness hiking, good food & wine and plenty of rest and relaxation. I have already been to SF, Monterrey, Big Sur, Tahoe, San Diego, La Jolla, Laguna Beach/Hills, Sacremento, & LA. Therefore I am considering the North Coast-Mendocino, Redwood N.P., Sonoma. I was thinking of flying into SF and spending the day in Sonoma probably going to a winery. Spend the night, wake up in the AM and driving from SF up the coast to Mendocino and staying in a very nice B&B for 4 nights. Then drive up the coast to Redwood N.P. and stay up there for 2 nights and head back.
Do you think this would be a fun, adventeresome and scenic trip? Do we need to add a few more days? Any B&B's, hotels or lodges that you would recommend, we tend to like mid to high end type places and don't mind paying if its worth it. Or if you can think of things we should do and see while here please let me know. Also, when is the best time to go? I was thinking of going in May. Any other advice tips you can think of would be great.
Thanks,
Poogie
Mar 12th, 2004, 03:02 AM

Here's my rec for a place to stay:
http://www.whalewatchinn.com/

Mendocino is a lovely little town. Think Murder She Wrote as that was the outdoor shot for the Maine small town.

Beaches in May are for walking or wetsuits. Actually, being from Florida I always think these beaches are for walking or wet suits.
LMF
Mar 12th, 2004, 11:42 AM

Since you are interested in Mendocino and the redwoods, you might save time by going directly to the Anderson Valley (101 and then 128) and sample the wineries there. Here's a list of some wineries and their recommended windes:
Sparkling:
Roederer Estate brut
Roederer Rosé

Still wines

Navarro Gewürztraminer
Navarro Chardonnay
Navarro Pinot Gris
Navarro Pinot Noir
Handley Cellars Chardonnay
Husch Gewürztraminer
Greenwood Ridge Merlot
Greenwood Ridge Zinfandel
Lazy Creek Pinot Noir

Once up in redwood territory, drive to Petrolia and on to Ferndale for a beautiful drive.
Mar 12th, 2004, 11:55 AM

Sounds like a good trip plan to me. We just returned from a weekend at the Whale Watch Inn in Gualala, which is between Bodega Bay and Mendocino. The scenery was incredible, the room was wonderful (The "Sea Quest" with a view of Anchor Bay) and there were no crowds (of course it was February). We have also taken severl trips to Pt. Reyes National Seashore and stayed in two B&B there - The Sandy Cove Inn (our favorite) and Blackstone Farm. There is lots of hiking at Pt. Reyes National Seashore and wonderful uncrowded beaches. We also kayaked on Tomales Bay while at the Sandy Cove Inn, which we really enjoyed. You could stop at several beaches along the way while out on the kayak. Have fun!
Mar 12th, 2004, 01:47 PM
GP

Hi Poogie

I think you can find some of that here in Humboldt Co. There are no B&B in the National and State Redwood Parks but there are nice ones in Ferndale, Eureka and Trinidad. For good food and wine at the upper end check out the Carter House and its restaurant 301. Humboldt has more coast line than any other county in California. Some of my picks are Patricks Point State Park, Big Lagoon County Park, South Jetty (now that the homeless are gone) Trindad and Elk Head. There is a lot of hiking in the redwood parks but it is not true wilderness. A nice long hike in the redwoods to the beach is from Prairie Creek Visitor center to fern canyon. Spring is a nice time here but it can and does rain. If you stay in Mendocino for 4 nights take a day and check out Montgomery State Reserve it is the best Redwood Grove on the planet. If you have more ?? post away .I am always around this forum and have here in Humboldt County for over 30 years

Come on up and have some fun!
GP