Sonoma itinerary questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I and 2kids(8 and 10) will be out in CA in end of July for 10 days.We really want to see the Redwoods and enjoy the scenery, as well as taste some great wine.. Kayaking/canoeing on the Russian River, few wineries to visit.
I 'm trying to schedule day by day itinerary. Please help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
My itinerary, so far:
Arrive SF July 21Wedn. rent a car -to Sebastopol .Sonoma Day 1 Wineries:
Chateau St. Jean
St. Francis/ Sabastiani
-Benziger Family Winery take a tour
Olive vine culinary adventures at Jack London Village
-Viansa Winery,
-Cline,
-Gundlach Bundschu,
Gloria Ferrer?
Sonoma Plaza
Day2
Santa Rosa Farmer Market
Matanzas Creek's winery
-DeLoach,
-Gary Farrell
-Simi
-Bella
-Ferrari Carano
Armstrong Woods
Day3Explore the Dry Creek Valley & Russian River Valley Hop Kiln, Gary Farrell, Rodney Strong, J vineyards
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 08:47 AM

Sorry, but you're planning on taking two kids, ages 8 and 10, to seventeen wineries?
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Ferrari Carano - there is a long and boring road to it, the kids will drive you nuts, I hope! Who takes children on a winery tour?

Why don't you take them instead to the Russian river, fort Ross history, Sonoma train town, Jack London park/museum/grave in Glen Ellen, the geiser and petrified forest in Calistoga, wine train in Napa.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM

I can comment on Matanzas Creek Winery. It is in a beautiful location and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. The lavendar gardens are lovely. We enjoyed the wine tasting.

Matanzas Creek Winery participates in Sonoma Vineyard Adventures. Report to the Tasting Room when you arrive and ask for the self-guided vineyard tour guide. Your family can take the printed tour on your own, following the numbered map through the grounds at your own pace. The guide features brief, informative descriptions about wine production. You will even walk through a section of the vineyard on your own.

http://www.sonomavineyardadventures.com/

This does seem like a riogorous schedule to me also . . .
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 09:18 AM

I hope you are planning on doing a spit wine tasting. I mean, I love wine but even I couldn't do all that.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 09:19 AM

I agree that you're probably overly ambitious with the # of wineries, especially considering the kids.

We enjoyed Armstrong Woods.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

I knew that would happen. We do plan to visit to the Russian river, may be even kayaking, Fort Ross, Jack London park/museum in Glen Ellen, Armstrong Woods,Bodega Bay. We have another couple with us, who'd like to visit wineries. I’d like to go see there scenery,gardens.Have no idea how far in between wineries, that is why I'm asking for help and advice with this. I do have 4 days there.I 'm trying to schedule day by day itinerary. Please help?
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:21 AM

It has been my experience that if you try to do more than 6-8 wineries (a day) you are wasting your time. Depending on the winery, the number could be even less. My children (even younger than yours) are pretty seasoned at 'doing wineries' but I've never tried it w/them in California & about a half a day is the absolute most I ever attempt (& my kids are excellent, well-seasoned little travelers). You'll also get some flack for taking them to even one winery. There are several prior posts on here addressing wine & children, & the topic can get quite heated, to say the least.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:34 AM

6-8 wineries (a day)
__________________________________________________ _____________
IMO, wine tasting should be an 'experience'- five at MAX. I don't know- maybe it's different when you have children along.
Just saying- that's all.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:43 AM

Maybe you're the kind of travelers who always like to be on the move and cram in as much as possible. No problem with that. If so, maybe you can see how day 1 of a packed schedule goes and if it turns out to be too much, just scale back the next day.

As I recall, we spent more time in the car between wineries than we had expected to.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

What about this itinerary?
Day1
-Benziger Family Winery take a tour
Jack London State Park
-Viansa Winery,
-Cline,
-Gundlach Bundschu,
Sonoma plaza-Sonoma train town?
Day2
Santa Rosa Farmer Market
Matanzas Creek's winery-- lavender fields
-Simi
Armstrong Woods-Redwoods State Park
Day3
Chateau Souveraign
Ferrari Carano
Korbel
Bodega Bay
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 12:47 PM

So much better on the winery end. Now you'll be able to enjoy all your 'senses'.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 01:30 PM

If you go in this order, check how late the train town is opened, maybe only till 6?
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 02:14 PM

We have been to Napa & Sonoma 3 times each at different times of the year & I have never seen children at any of the wineries we visited. While your children may be delighted to tag along on an adult trip, I suspect others will be less than delighted to share their experience with children.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Hi lada,
We live here in California and visit the wine areas often. We just returned last night from the central coast wine region. The wineries are very strict about no kids in the tasting rooms.

The good thing is that at every winery there is usually some sort of tables and chairs or picnic tables or grass just outside the tasting room so you can purchase wine and have a seat outside and relax.

Maybe you can bring some small activities for your kids and you can trade off watching the kids while the other one wine tastes. It is a beautiful area. Viansa and Ferrari Carano are beautiful wineries. The gardens at FC are stunning.

Have fun,
Michele
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for input. I don't think we need to put off our visit to this area just because we have children. I am sure we can find ways to entertain them. They have been traveling since they were babies and are very good travelers. We will be going as a family to the locations that offer tours as I think the art of wine making is interesting and I am researching wineries in the Sonoma are kids friendly. I just didn't want to get too much into this because I have seen on other posts how many people are against bringing children to this area. I think it is educational and we aren't going only for the tastings.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 07:11 AM

The kids (and you) will love the Tram tour at Benziger and the Cave at Bella.

Check out the photos of Bella Winery ..
http://tastingsonoma.com/wineries/be...and-wine-caves

If you want a really scenic drive, take Dry Creek Road up to Bella.

Have Fun !
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 07:22 AM

Have you looked into the Martin Ray winery in Santa Rosa? A great tour & very kid friendly. Check out their website.