Sonoma CA Accommodations

Search

Sonoma CA Accommodations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sonoma CA Accommodations

4 adults travelling to Monteray, Sonoma & San Fransisco in September, staying 3 nights in each location. Looking for affordable ($ 300.00/4 per night) shared accommodations with separate bedrooms and bathrooms. We will have a vehicle but hope to walk to some wineries in Sonoma and area. Are we dreaming??
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 10:10 PM

Sonoma is very expensive in the summer months, which September qualifies. Glen Ellen is 10 miles north or Sonoma.

We recently stayed in one of the secret cottages at et the Glen Ellen Inn. http://www.glenelleninn.com/about.html

Off-season rates wre $110 per cottage. There are only 6 cottages, but certainly larger than renting a room in a hotel.

Walk next door to the Fig Cafe. Warning: it gets crowded very quickly after opening. http://www.thefigcafe.com/#
Bring a bottle of Sonoma wine and there's no corkage fee.

Delicious food.
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I just checked it out and it looks perfect.I have registered and look forward to a response.

I had read in the Forum about Fig and their great promotion of Sonoma wines. We will definately be checking it out. Have you been to Wolf House?

Do you have favorite wineries in this vicinity you would recommend? We are looking at Chateau St. Jean Winery and also hope to venture to Napa for a day excursion.

Thanks so much for your advise as there are so many great opportunities!
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 01:49 PM

Here are a few links to get you started, and maybe finish you off as there's a lot of information.

http://www.sonomavalley.com/

http://sonoma.com/regions/sonoma_valley/

http://www.sonomavalleywine.com/
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 11:10 PM

I would advise against a day trip to Napa. All the wineries are further north.

There's more than enough to do in the area. Go to downtown Sonoma and check it out.

Lots of restaurants and there is wine tasting on the square.

Healdsburg is a bit far to go for a day. Check out the wineries near Glen Ellen.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 08:07 AM

I just noticed you said you wanted to walk to some wineries. That really is not possible, except to the winery tasting rooms in town. The wineries are very spread out, and mostly along rural roads (no sidewalks).
Old May 24th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, we have booked Glen Ellen Inn. They have been fantastic! Much appreciated.
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:55 PM

Joy,
What types of wine do you like to drink? There are lots of wineries to choose from!
I agree with Rasta' that walking to a winery in Glen Ellen isn't likely, but if you wanted to park in downtown Sonoma and include a winery in your wanderings there, that would be possible if you are "hearty walkers".
Taking a day out of your relatively short time to go to Napa is possible, but not really the best use of time in my opinion. Sonoma County has such a wide range of wine production that, to me, there is no real reason to visit Napa unless there is a special winery you just have to see or a particular Cabernet you want to drink.
Be sure to check out the event calendars for the area to see if there may be something special happening during your visit; you might get lucky and be there for a good concert or something. winecountrythisweek.com usually has a pretty good one and so does sonomauncorked.com.
Old May 30th, 2013, 01:58 PM

Healdsburg is only about 45 minutes from downtown Sonoma. I wouldn't miss it. Lovely restaurants and wineries. I know you have booked a room, but do check out www.VRBO.com (Vacation Rentals by Owner)..lots of good choices in your price range.
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advise! Our stay in Sonoma is going to be fabulous.