Reload this Page >

Sonesta Beach Hotel-Key Biscayne, Fla.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 1998, 10:07 PM
Madeline

Has anyone stayed at the Sonesta Beach Resort in Key Biscayne, Florida? Is this a safe place in Miami? How are the rooms, food, beach, and atmosphere? Thanks.

Old Jan 24th, 1998, 01:30 PM
Sarah

It's been some time since I was there but my stay at the Sonesta Key Biscayne was quite enjoyable. I thought it was very safe, definetely out of the Miami area altogether (even though it's not a far drive). The beach is quite nice, although the hotel itself showed signs of aging. The pool bar is famous for their Pina Coladas which are excellent. If you'll be there for more than a couple days I would recommend a car to get out and see other areas because there isn't much to do other than what's at the resort.

Old Jan 26th, 1998, 06:18 AM
Neal Sanders

The Sonesta Beach resort is on Key Biscayne which, in turn, is an island just south of Miami Beach, accessible by a causeway that terminates just south of downtown Miami and north of Coconut Grove. Key Biscayne has two large parks on it with very nice beaches that occupy the north and south ends of the island. Key Biscayne village is in the center, and the Sonesta Beach resort is the only hotel of any consequence. The hotel was badly damaged by Hurricane Andrew a few years back and has been essentially rebuilt (it was closed for almost a year), so the comment above that the hotel is aged probably doesn't apply in 1998. It has an excellent beach and lots of tennis courts. That said, if you want nightlife, you'll need a car. Key Biscayne is one of the quieter parts of Miami (and yes, it is quite safe). Coconut Grove is a fifteen minute drive; South Beach is perhaps 20 minutes. Of the two parks nearby, Cape Florida State Park to the south provides the better opportunity to explore.

Old Feb 5th, 1998, 06:19 PM
Valeri Zwick

If you like bike riding it's fun to ride around the island. I haven't been there in a number of years but have stayed there a number of times and always liked it. I LOVE the beach there and was really lucky to stay there one time after a storm when it was pristine!!! Found some great shells.

You need to rent a car to see the rest of Miami.

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 06:02 AM
ekitay

Last March I stayed at a small motel adjacent to the Sonesta called Siver Sands. It was perfect for me & my 10yr old: kitchenette, clean, drive up to door, lovely pool & tropical parklike grounds right on beach. We walked to Sonesta daily, only about a city block away. The beach is nice; hammocks in trees, somewhat caribbean but I thought very overpriced(silver sands is about 1/2 price but not glitzy.) Sonesta is large, high-rise. Its biggest attraction is its kids program, by the way. Key B. is a very nice alternative to Miami; about 10 min. drive. On Key B is Seaworld: skip it if you have seen first rate aquariums, overpriced. When you enter Key B there is a fantastic restaurant w/ outdoor dining areaw/great Miami views& flaming fireplace...cant recall name(go firstnight there at sunset because you will want to return; get Triple AAA guide it it & anything that that guide gives a star to as attraction to visit is worthwhile. Concentrate on Coral Gables area, Viscaya including state beaches in that area &, yes, parrot jungle;I wouldnt stay in Miami unless you want to make some social scene. Do see Holocaust Memorial in Miami---it is amazing.Enjoy.

Old Feb 14th, 1998, 08:42 PM
Patricia Jackson

Our family--all adults--went for Thanksgiving 1997. We took 2 rooms, and had a great time---stayed 4 nights. It's a full-service resort--nice little health club. ON THE BEACH. Wonderful food, and good service. The bathrooms in the rooms were extremely huge. Key Biscayne was very safe--not much to do--the hotel is it, really. You need a car, and the trip into Miami is easy. We went several times a day to see sights, shop, eat, etc. You'll love the Sonesta. We even went to Key West for the day(a long day at that but very doable!).