Search

Someplace central to Ohio, Indiana and Texas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 05:53 PM
cd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someplace central to Ohio, Indiana and Texas

Trying to figure out a place to spend New Years for our family. We would be coming from Texas, Indiana and Ohio. There will be 6 adults and 4 children. The children range from 9 to 16. I can only think of Memphis. Any other ideas?
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 06:21 PM

What about Branson or the Lake of the Ozarks area? There's also Little Rock. I've not been to Memphis for a very long time so couldn't say whether that would be a good location anymore. The Lake of the Ozarks would probably be my first choice, but I've not been there in the winter. Only the summer. And it's a great family vacation spot during the warm weather.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 06:36 PM

You'd probably want to be in a major city. Memphis is a good choice; they have festivities on bluesy Beale Street, although it seems to lean to the adult. In Oklahoma City, there's also a downtown festival with something for everybody, with club parties, live music and other acts on multiple sites, a hockey game, and big screen area for the bowl games. Kansas City has Crown Plaza, Spanish-style neighborhood. Just some ideas...
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:08 PM
BAK

How they travel mattrs. If driving, miles count, but if they are flying, it is often cheaper to fly to some popular destination far away than to some unpopular place that is closer.

I can't imagine anything good to be said for Ohio or Indiana, but the kids, oif from these places, might enjoy Texas. So make the Texans contribute a bit to the air fares of the others. If I was 9 to 16, I'd love to see the Texas Gulf Coast, or some cowboy country.

Or just send everyone to Phoenix or Tampa on discount airfare pacakges.

Or, finally, go to New York City, a wonderful place for children and adults.

BAK

Old Nov 6th, 2003, 06:04 AM

I also thought of Memphis and Little Rock, but how about New Orleans? Although it would be farther for the midwesterners, they might appreciate the relative warmth and the fun atmosphere.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 07:43 AM

KS or St. Louis.

Or all take cheap flights to Chicago.

Keith
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 08:35 AM

another vote for Chicago. Lots of stuff to do for all age groups.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 11:38 AM

Kansas City! Stay at the Country Club Plaza which I assume will still be lit up for the holidays.

Are people driving or flying? That might make a difference. Distance has little to do with airline fares, but a lot to do with driving. Those in Indiana and Ohio, just might appreciate flying to Texas -- maybe San Antonio for example instead of flying to another generally colder midwestern city. And the airfares are likely to be no more than to Chicago, Memphis, or Kansas City.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 12:28 PM

If you're seriously considering a smaller place, why not Hot Springs,AR? It's a beautiful little city with a fascinating history and lots to see.

There are eight Victorian/Edwardian bathhouses along Bathhouse Row, on Central Avenue, along with lots of little stores and restaurants. Hot Springs National Park marches up Hot Springs Mountain to an observation tower at the peak behind the bathhouses. There's a botanical garden and a science museum, plus lots of public art, beautiful architecture even aside from the bathhouses, plus delightfully kitschy tourist traps like a wax museum and an aquarium.

I was there in the summer and loved it. Touring the bathhouse that had been restored as a museum was fascinating, as was walking around looking at all the hot springs and the hot fountains powered by those springs. There's even one bathhouse still operating as such, plus lots of resort hotels that offer spa bathing.

I just enjoyed it and there seemed like lots of entertainment options, from art to hiking to kitsch, to lakes to gardens, to forests to history and beyond.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 01:02 PM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks for all the really good suggestions! We will be driving as it is a lot cheaper. We like a place 10-12 hr driving time from all three states and have been to many you all have suggested and loved each one. I wanted New Orleans as we have not met there yet as a family, but our daughter feels her children are not old enought yet. (9&13 and she says she's not ready to have her son enjoy bare boobs just yet.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 07:16 PM

I'd suggest Kansas City, as mentioned earlier. Lots of good things to do, excellent shopping, fine places to eat. The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is awesome, and the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum is wonderful.
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 07:43 PM

Definitely Kansas City!! Yes, the Plaza will still be lit up beautifully with hundreds of thousands of Christmas lights. You'll love it and so will the kids! You can enjoy Union Station--the refurbished train station that now houses a hands-on children's science museum, IMAX, a few great restaurants, and right now they have a Space exhibit that sounds GREAT (not sure if it will still be there in Jan--I'd check on their website www.unionstation.org). As mentioned, Nelson Atkins is a great art museum, you could spend an evening at a jazz club at 18th and Vine (an early evening with the kids). It would be great for the whole family. And perfect driving distance for all.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 08:35 AM
BAK

There's another thread (right now it is in the second 50 messages) about kids in new orleans. Lots to do.

And, from my friend in New orleans, replying to wa qeustion i sent about bare boobs:

"The chances of children seeing boobs is equal to their parent's judgment: would they take them onto Bourbon St., the main adult entertainment thoroughfare, or not? If not, then the chance is quite slim.

All of the adult clubs are on Bourbon St., and so is all the "girls gone wild" action. I can't recall that behavior happening on side streets except on crazy days like Mardi Gras itself.

Thus, keep the kids off Bourbon and one should be OK.

The action does heat up during busy times: Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest, etc. But it's hardly rare - probably an every weekend occurrence now - but only on Bourbon St., and generally late, 10pm+, once people have been drinking. Contributing factors are legal booze in the streets (not confined to bars - you can buy beer on the street from take-away vendors and drink it while you walk) and 24-hour bars (no closing time). It's a booze town.

I believe there is a tourist guide for families... our aquarium, zoo, children's museum, Superdome and other venues are all great for families.
http://www.neworleanscvb.com/ "

BAK
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 08:48 AM

Yes, I'm sorry, it's Country Club Plaza in KC, not Crown Center that often lights up.

I still think OKC would be a good choice -- there's the Omniplex Museum, with an IMAX-type screen, the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum (even a replica of a small-town Main Street the kids can play in), if it's not too cold out, you have the OKC Zoo is always interesting (and one of the best of the southwest) and a sculpture park close by). For the adults, there's Bricktown, with restaurant and nightlife, as well as a Bass Pro Shop for any anglers there. A water taxi ride through the district would also be nice.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 08:51 AM

Check out www.visitokc.com. There's a Kids Stuff hyperlink on the right column.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 06:43 PM

I would strongly suggest Oklahoma City. Many people wouldn't expect it to be as great a destination as it is. There is a huge Downtown in December festival that includes live entertainment, a huge outdoor ice-skating rink in Centennial Park, and lights all over the place, not to mention special concerts and events at the Ford Center and the Civic Center Music Hall. There's a fair amount of shopping right there in downtown. There is a brand new Bass Pro Outdoor World, as well as tons of restaurants and shops in Bricktown, which is sort of a cross between the Denver Pavilions and the San Antonio Riverwalk area. There's also the Oklahoma City Museum of Art and the Myriad Botanical Gardens which features the Crystal Bridge, an indoor conservatory featuring a huge waterfall and a jungle. I believe it's all lit up during the holidays. A good website for this is downtownokc.org. It features general info on downtown as well as specifics about Downtown in December. Oh and you won't want to miss the Oklahoma City National Memorial in north downtown. There are also several other great attractions like the OKC Zoo (top 10 in the nation), the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, and the Omniplex (a Smithsonian affiliate). If you like upscale shopping there is also Penn Square Mall, which features stores like Sharper Image, Godiva, Yankee Candle, Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, James Avery, Bachrach, and J.Crew. If you are looking for an inexpensive place to stay, there is a brand new Courtyard by Marriot downtown that I imagine is less expensive than the more upscale hotels downtown. Also you might want to check out the website bricktownokc.com. Hope you will consider OKC.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 06:51 PM

Actually I forgot that hotel is not opening until January, but there are several hotels around the area.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 05:09 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Jbrown
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 05:51 AM

I agree with the conclusion reached by BAK: keep the kids off bourbon.
Maybe a glass of wine with dinner.