Search

Some travel tips?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 04:22 AM
Jennifer

Some travel tips?

Hi this is going to be my second trip to NYC but I want it to be memorable. I am going to be staying in Conn. with my parents and we go into the city on the trains. This takes us to Central Station which is the area we stayed around last time I was there. My parents are a little nervous about the subway system and I want to go further downtown? Could someone give me an idea of what trains to take to Soho and Tribeca area or what buses I should take? Any other suggestions for a girl in her 20's to do in NYC. I love vintage shops and the Theatre.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 07:07 AM
John

Hey Jennifer,
You may want to repost with New York in your header. "Some travel tips" is vague and some people who are really familiar with NYC may be passing it by.

I visit NY several times a year and never have any problems with public transit in the city. However, I'll leave the specifics of your question to the locals, who are very knowledgeable and helpful!

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 07:17 AM
Annie

Hi Jennifer:
Look for my post on Broadway shows on sale...
There are plenty of buses that go downtown (M1, M6, M15 M10)but I as a NYer prefer the subway.(4,5,6 are right there in Grand Central) My mom and I use it all the time. If stairs are a problem, some of the stations have elevators. Crime is down, but remember to use common sense. If you are lost or need assistance, go to the token booth. Grand Central has an info booth. There is an excellent Tourist Info Booth in Times Square and the NYC Official Visitor Center is located at 7th Avenue and 53 Street. You can get maps, brochures and discount coupons.
Travel info is available at www.mta.nyc.ny.us
Take care and have a wonderful time!

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 08:30 AM
Annie

Up for Jennifer
I see you posted again! Check out your other post for info!

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 11:07 AM
Caitlin

The subways are certainly easy to use, but I must add to the above post that VERY FEW stations have elevators (about 20 out of over 200 city-wide). Also, for visitors, taking the bus can be a better experience if you aren't in a hurry, because you can see so much more of the city. You can pick up subway and bus maps at the information booth in Grand Central Terminal when you arrive, or use the MTA's web site, www.mta.nyc.ny.us to get information.