Some observations about the new registration system

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As one of those who were opposed to registration, I am afraid that my worst fears have been realized. My primary fear was that people wouldn't want to register and the number of posts would dwindle down to a few regulars. It appears that this is exactly what has happened. While the number of obnoxious posts have been greatly reduced, so have the total number of travel related posts. On the positive side, while it hasn't really stopped all the obnoxious posts, since there are fewer posts to deal with, Fodors is able to eliminate them quicker. So I guess you could say they won the battle but lost the war. I was never a major contributor to this site, but I did enjoy reading all of the many inquiries and the responses to them, even the lighthearted ones. While I still hope that things will get better, I am more afraid that we have lost something that was pretty special.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 11:41 AM

Agree with you 100% Jack, and I'm one of the regular posters. At least I could think up different names before so people didn't know the advice was coming from the same person, not to seem like a know it all. This site is deader than a door nail. There are no more humorous posts, and if you do find one funny response, it fades away quickly.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 12:09 PM

Personally I am kind of glad knowing that when I have a question,that the answers I receive are from different people, not one just trying to sell their view. It is nice to be able to ask a San Francisco question (this year's vacation) and not have to weed through all the bashings that were apparently by the same person. Yes there may be less postings, but how many times can the same question be answered that is being posted by the same person using various names?
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:04 PM

Jack/J
Go to the Caribbean forum and read the "St Lucia/Speedo etc etc".Its lenghty but worth the time.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:33 PM

On the balance, we have lost more than we have gained, IMHO. I'm hoping that a big part of that relates to the obvious technical problems, but the early going has been frustrating and disappointing in comparison to the pre-registration days.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:40 PM

I'd have to agree with Jack. It is disappointing to see how much the traffic has slowed. I'm not too surprised though. A couple of other message boards that I've used in the past have switched over to registration, with much the same effect. It seems that people are much less likely to post if they have to register, even if the registration process is simple.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 04:47 PM

Part of the problem is the difficulties with posting. I've tried to respond a few times, but not been successful and given up. Lets see if this one works.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 05:57 PM

Agree wholeheartly with Jack. I miss some of the lighthearted answers but NOT those obnoxious people.
Other people complaining about posting but I've had no problem at all. One of the lucky ones I guess.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 06:01 PM

My inital observation is that this site seems so slow (either that or it's my browser). First time I went to post, my registration didn't go through. I re-registered then attempted to post.....it froze...had to hit the refresh button.
I too notice that there are far less posters now that registration is required.
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 06:11 PM
MTS

I agree with all of the above. It is worth filtering through the few obnoxious posts to get the quantity and QUALITY posts. I have been on the Carribean site and it is DEAD. Anguilla specifically, has had one new post in the last two days. I use to love this sight and provide my own input as well as gain TREMENDOUS tips.
I don't know that I will continue to be a fan of this sight. It isn't worth the time.
Carribean forum St.Lucia/Speedo is a great post. Enjoy!
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 06:13 PM
MTS

I forgot to add, I too tried to post several questions recently, and failed.
Screen froze up like the weather here in PA..
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 06:13 PM

I couldn't agree more. Although I'm not a major contributor, I check in every day. I have to agree that it has become rather boring. I will admit that there were a lot of nasty postings/replies before registration, but it was a hell of a lot more interesting than what's going on now!
Old Feb 2nd, 2003, 06:40 PM
ET

All those people who whined about registration have ended up ruining this site for the rest of us. We've been "Frommerized." Its totally dull and almost no one is posting anymore. I suppose its too late for Fodors to change it back the way it was before. What's happened is almost funny. Sure, it got rid of the few obscene posts that the rest of us usually just ignored. However, it didn't get rid of the obnoxious posters who criticize other people's posts or otherwise act superior. Oh well, there's always an upside. At least I won't be spending so much time here anymore.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:32 AM

Just a thought,perhaps the reason not as many posts now because not as many folk are travelling at the moment, hence not as many inquiries on the forum
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 01:35 AM

Just a thought,perhaps the reason not as many posts now because not as many folk are travelling at the moment, hence not as many inquiries on travel reqested on the forum.I found this site very informative before we went overseas and met some nice posters as well
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:32 AM

What a joke! Thanks fodors for ruining a great thing.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 04:38 AM

Actually, I'm researching two trips now and am getting as much information as before. I like the site better now. I think it still fulfills its purpose as a travel board and is still the best one out there as far as useful information. If someone knows of a better travel forum, I'd love to hear about it.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:17 AM

I've been a regular poster here for a few years and I was in favor of registration. I'm delighted that it's here but recognize that it will take period of time to transition. New visitors to the site are unlikely to be discouraged by the requirement to register as it is more or less a standard on other forums. I'll admit that a few of the troll posts were entertaining but when some meathead would decide to post troll material repeatedly dozens of times in a day (a regular occurrence), it pushed useful TRAVEL posts down the page to the point where most folks did not benefit from them. I've always considered Fodor's to be the best travel info resource on the web because of the participants and I suspect it will remain that way, despite this small bump in the road.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:59 AM

Perfectly said, Owen. I agree, and think some of the slowness is a result of the difficulties people are having posting right now, which will surely be resolved.
I also think that without all the B.S. and nastiness, new people who find this forum are more likely to stick around if they have anything worthwhile to ask or say. I see it growing more in the future than it has in the recent past.

By the way, although I've made several posts this morning with no difficulty, I've been trying to post this for over 45 minutes now. Glad I copied and pasted it. I try for a few minutes, it won't paste, I do other things, then come back here and try again. I guess you have to be pretty addicted to this site to go to such lengths just to make a simple post. Please, Fodor's get it fixed soon.
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 09:03 AM
OliveOyl

I had the same trouble this morning Patrick. It takes several shots for anything to post. If I were new to this forum and its operation, I might have given up, assuming somehow I'd not taken one of the necessary steps in getting something posted!

I have another thought on the registration process. I believe there is a fair contingent of hold-outs who hope that if posts drop off drastically, Fodors will relent and revert to the old system. I doubt that will happen. With time, hopefully the picket line will give up and return. Fodors hand was forced. It was not those in favor of registration who brought about this change. The system had worked just fine up to a certain point, but it increasingly had become a place for out of control fighting, nasties, and trolls who ignored the boundaries of what was appropriate in a public forum. I'm sure Fodors is willing to allow a certain degree of fun with this system too. I doubt seriously their intent was to make this a dry sterile forum, but what had begun to happen prior to this was totally out of control, and something they were forced to deal with. It sure wasn’t dry and sterile, but it was intimidating to new people who came to the site looking for travel tips and got an eyeful in the process.

We were warned, but the warnings only brought out more abusive posts. I too miss some of the old fun, but can anyone think of an alternative solution? I can't! Rather than mourn what we lost and hold out for its return, let’s deal with what we now have and help it grow and improve with participation from everyone, including opposing views and good humor. As long as it is done with civility I doubt Fodors will object, and frankly, I don’t think there is a prayer of its ever reverting to an unregistered system again, no matter how many hold out. Remember the old saying about cutting off one's nose to spite one's face? I can't help but feel there's a heck of a lot of that going on right now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -