Solomon MD/Saint Mary's College area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking for any recommendations/advice about this area. The hotel is in Solomon and we will be needing dinner Friday night. I would love to hear about any favorites you all might have. We will probably visit the historic area in the afternoon (I teach history) and Saturday will be spent at the college open house. We are heading to Baltimore after the open house to hopefully find more crabcakes!

Restaurant recs anyone? I would love to have crabcakes and my daughter (the future college student) is a vegetarian.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 04:09 AM

Hi eb - It's too bad that I missed your post back in September. I went to St. Mary's back in the 70's, and my daughter graduated from there in 2004. One place that's very nice is the Broome Howard Inn which is right in St. Mary's City (such as it is).

The college is very good, though some students find the location somewhat isolated. However, if she's into watersports, eg sailing or sculling, it can't be beat.

If your daughter remains interested, I could probably give you some more info.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 08:27 AM
LN

Hi

If you're staying in Solomons Island Md here's a list for you. We have eaten at "Dry Dock" which is located at Zahnhisers Marina. I do believe that I've been to Solomon's Pier too. The Tiki Bar is just that, a bar.

You are about 35 miles south of Annapolis and about 15 miles south of Prince Frederick. There is a Stoney's Restaurant in Prince Frederick that has good crab cakes.
Any other questions,

Solomons Island Hotels
Lodging is ample in the Solomons area. From our five star Holiday Inn conference center to handfuls of quaint bed and breakfasts, the Island offers comfortable stays for all of our guests. Below are some of the best places to stay when visiting Solomons.

Back Creek Inn 410-326-2022
Blue Heron Bed & Breakfast 410-326-2707
Bowen's Inn 410-326-6790
Holiday Inn Select Solomons 410-326-6311
Locust Inn Rooms 410-326-9817
Hilton Garden Inn Solomons 410-326-0303
Solomons Victorian Inn 410-326-4811

Solomons Island Restaurants
Solomons has many restaurants, and bars that can accommodate you all year around with indoor and outdoor seating and lounges. Most places have beautiful views of the harbor or river to compliment your serving of the best of the Chesapeake's bounty. The restaurants below will satisfy almost anyone's discerning tastes.

CD Café 410-326-3877
DiGiovanni's Dock of the Bay 410-394-6400
Lighthouse Inn 410-326-2444
Naughty Gull 410-326-4855
Solomons Pier Restaurant 410-326-2424
The Captain's Table 410-326-2772
Tiki Bar, Inc 410-326-4075
Vincenzo's Mediterranean Grill 410-326-9900
Zahniser's Dry Dock Restaurant 410-326-4817
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM

I strongly second the rec for The Drydock restaurant! By far the best on Soloman's Island. Soloman's Pier closed a while back and has new name/mgmt - skip it.
http://www.zahnisers.com/drydock.htm

Close to St. Mary's College, I can suggest Scheibles for casual - they serve VERY fresh seafood - ask wfor whatever just came out of the water. http://scheibles.homestead.com/ScheiblesRestaurant.html or for something fancier (also close to the college) is Brome Howard Inn (dinner only).
http://www.bromehowardinn.com/restaurant.htm

BTW, St. Mary's is a phenomenal school. It's the only public honors college in the country (world?). Having a college made up entirely of honors students makes a differnce in so many ways. As for the setting, well, you'll see how gorgeous it is when you get there.

Old Nov 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Hey, where were you guys a couple of months ago? (imagine a smiley face icon right here!)

We had a great time in the area and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the restaurant where we had dinner. It was on the left, one of the first ones I believe as we drove from the bridge. It was very casual and the service was not great. The crabcakes were very good though. We stayed at the Hilton garden Inn which had excellent service and is obviously very new.

The college is lovely and my daughter is now waiting for the early decsion response...Although I am impressed with her choice and feel it is a very good fit for her, I am sad that she may be living 9 hours away from me!!!

I will keep these responses as I may be visiting the area very frequently.

Thanks.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 05:59 PM
LN

I apologize - I wasn't in town in September and never saw your post until it was answered in November. Hopefully if your daughter chose St Mary's I hope she's very happy with it as it is an honors school and a delightful school but also in a remote area.

Come on back sometime - we promise to answer in a more timely fashion!!
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

She's in!!! Be prepared for all sorts of questions regarding Maryland for at least the next year or so.

Happy for the kid...sad for me.
Old Nov 26th, 2008, 02:29 AM

Congratulations to you and your daughter! It's a great school, and I think she'll really enjoy it.
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 05:56 AM

Congrats to you and your daughter.

Make sure your daughter takes you sailing when you visit (trust me, she will already have learned how and will be signing out boats by then - it's included in the student activities fee).

Old Nov 27th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

My daughter is very excited about the prospect of sailing, crew and the available kayaks. Me on the other hand, I am petrified of sailing, absolutely petrified. I have been this way since the first and only time I went sailing as a 12 year old. I will wave to her from the shore while ingesting my 87th crabcake if she decides to take up sailing.

I am so excited for her as this college seems to provide such a wonderful experience beyond the highly rated academics. I just wish it was not quite so far from MA.
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 09:14 AM
LN

But please remember - Southwest has great prices on flights from Boston to BWI and BWI is one of their hubs. Drive time from bWI is about 60 to 75 minutes.

Time for that extra crabcake!!