Reload this Page >

Soho vs. Times Square

Search

Soho vs. Times Square

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Jeanne

Soho vs. Times Square

I could use some advice, please. We've decided to forge ahead with our plans to visit New York later this month and I got a wonderful rate at the new hotel, 60 Thompson, in Soho, for $189 a night. I'm wondering what's going on with Soho now? Do they need tourist business more than Times Square, where I could get a room at the Casablanca Hotel for $159 a night? Are there places in Soho where we could get an inexpensive breakfast, for example? Is everything up and running?

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 08:28 AM
duger

Stay with SoHo and 60 Thompson. SoHo is north of the affected area, and business is back to normalcy. (at least as normal as it can get...considering) As for inexpensive bfasts, there are numerous deli's and coffee shops in the area.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 10:00 AM
lisa

SoHo, SoHo, SoHo! New Yorkers avoid Times Square like the plague! It is overcrowded and contains overpriced restaurants. SoHo is a lovely neighborhood with great shopping and restaurants. You will be near to the Village and a cab ride away for anything else you want to see.

SoHo is north of the affected area and shouldn't be a problem.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Caitlin

There is no problem getting around Soho, especially walking, and restaurants and shops really need business now, especially in Tribeca (just south of Soho), which boasts some of the city's best restaurants. Transportation to midtown or anywher is easy via cab or subway; the subways are running everywhere but the immediately affected stations and tunnels. Plus, I think you'll enjoy 60 Thompson more, since it's a small and stylish boutique hotel. It's own upscale restaurant, Thom, has had great reviews.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 01:53 PM
John G

Stay in Soho by all means. Times Square is like Disney Land anymore. You will see the real Manhattan if you stay in Soho. Plus, the shopping and the restaurants are much better downtown. I personally don't like to go above 14th St. unless Im going to Lincoln Center.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 05:06 PM
abc

You couldn't go wrong with either hotel.
There are as many fine restaurants within walking distance of Times Square as there are in SOHO. Transportation is easier to access from the Casablance but neither poses a major problem. One poster suggests he never goes above 14th St. except to go to Lincoln Center. If you decide not to go above 14th Street scratch a Broadway show, Central Park and most major museums from your agenda. All of these are more convenient to the CAsablanca than 60 Thompson. Every major Broadway theater is within a 10 minute walk of the Casablanca. Be assured, however, that all is up and running in both areas. When the Casablanca opened it received a favorable reveiw in the NY Times. 60 Thompson received a favorable review in the FEb. 5 edition of New York Magazine. Your mentioning "inexpensive breakfast" might suggest there is a budget for this visit.
If this is the case not only do you save $30 a night staying at the Casablance but you are more likely to use cabs if you stay at 60 Thompson to get uptown. If this is the case add $15 to $20 a day cab fare to your daily expenses. Wherever you decide to stay enjoy your visit.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Jeanne

Well, I'm not thrilled about Times Square, but the price at the Casablanca is so tempting. 60 Thompson would normally be out of our budget, so I was excited about the opportunity to stay in that neighborhood. I just didn't know if it was all upscale botiques and high end cafes in that area. I didn't want to spend $40 for breakfast in the hotel restaurant.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Martha

I stayed at the Casablanca in August. Though in a busy area it is a small, quiet hotel once you get inside that front door. We particularly enjoyed Rick's - their complimentary lounge that served breakfast, then cookies and fruit, and later in the afternoon, wine and appetisers - plus their cappachino machine is available all day. It was like being on a club floor except it was for everyone.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 05:40 PM
don

I have yet to discover why so many people don't like the Times Square area. I know that it had once become a kind of seedy area, but it no longer is. I stayed at the Milliniuem Broadway, which is just a half of a block from Times Square, a while back and really loved the convenience of wallking to Broadway shows and the closeness to the subways. I know it is a very busy area, but so what? As a tourist, I found that part of the fun!

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 10:14 PM
John G

Don, that is the point. Times Square looks like a shopping mall in Minnesota. Why would you come all the way to Manhattan to be made to feel like you were in Minnesota? You can see Nike Town or Olive Garden anywhere. And to the person who said that the Casablanca is so much closer to Broadway than the hotel in Soho: take the subway. That is a tourist attraction in itself. Also, instead of going to Broadway, why don't you get on the train and hop over to BAM in Brooklyn? The performances there can beat a Seussical anyday!

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 03:14 AM
xx

The next thing John will tell you is that BAM is a much better venue for music than Carnegie Hall. He may even take it one step further and say that Brooklyn museums are far superior than those located in Manhattan above 14th Street.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 05:04 AM
apc

Another strong vote for SoHo.

Just came back from vacation to NYC about a month ago, and split my time there between a hotel in Times Square and one that was in a quieter area. I enjoyed the non-Times Square one a lot more. If I could go back soon, I would choose a hotel in SoHo or Union Square. Those neighborhoods have a much better vibe.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 05:13 AM
don

To John G: Question, why are the subways a NYC attraction and Times Square not? And can't I go to San Francisco or Chicago and find neighborhoods simular to SoHo? What I was saying was that I really liked Times Square central location and it is just as much of NYC's appeal as any other neighborhood (to me).

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 05:39 AM
Lizzie

Jeanne - to answer YOUR question, I would definitely tell you to stay in Soho. You'll get more of a feel for the city, and contrary to what others have said, taking the subway uptown should you decide to see a show or visit the museum, or wander though the park, is absolutely no hassle - and should be a part of any NYC visit! You won't have to spend $40 on breakfast. I lived in Soho until a month ago; there are plenty of good and inexpensive b'fast venues. I am a big fan of Balthazar's coffee and pastries, which I usually get for takeout (Spring and Crosby). Cupping Room Cafe is on Broome near 60 Thompson; Kitchenette is nearby as well. Le Pain Quotidien, on Grand St., is also good. And, as Caitlin said, Tribeca restaurants could really use your business and are worth the trip! I think that Chanterelle--one of the best in the city--is offering a special $35 prix fixe.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:19 AM
kim

Jeanne,

I stayed at 60 Thompson this past June and they had a complimentary continental breakfast. Is that still available? We ended up eating there every morning because it was so good. There was cereal and fantastic pastries and fruit as well as coffee and juices.

We enjoyed the hotel a lot. It was an "experience". We sort of felt like the Beverly Hillbillies in khakis and golf shirts when every one else was very urban in lots of the prerequisite black, but every one was extremely nice, not snooty to us at all. We took the subway alot. We saw 2 plays in Times Square, as well as Blue Man which was near the Village, and went to the Upper East Side to the Cafe Carlyle. We never minded the location and the taxis really weren't that expensive. We just used them late at night and it gives a different perspective than riding the subways all the time anyway.

Hope that helps!

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 03:15 PM
minbrookyn

The Paris Commune in the village is a good breakfast place (think it's open on the week days too). Lots of little bakeries/pastry shops around the Soho, Greenwich Village area--just stop someone on the street and ask. (I like the Cupping Room too). Soho has much more charm, but the previous poster is right that Times Square is not nearly as seedy as it used to be say, a decade ago. It's also near many attractions: Central Park, Carnegie Hall, Museum of Modern Art, many Broadway shows, on and on. Also many cheap coffee shops and chains in the area for breakfast. Really depends on what you want to spend your money on and your tastes.

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 03:17 PM
minbrookyn

Forgot to say Thanks for Coming!!! Have a great time.

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 03:21 PM
hohum

Folks, ignore John G's comments. He's trying to sound trendy..and it ain't working!

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Jeanne

Hello everybody,
Thanks for all the input. After much consideration, we decided to keep our reservations in Soho. This will be the first time we've ever stayed below 40th Avenue and we're looking forward to it. There's so many places I'm longing to explore in that area and now's my chance. I think we'll be taking advantage of all the neat coffee shops and bakeries and be eating out of the hotel. Now that 60 Thompson has their restaurant up and running, they no longer offer the free continental breakfast, so that's out, but the places you've recommended sound great. Anyway, thanks again. See you in New York!

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Stephanie

SOHO!!!!!! And, I wish I were going too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -