SoCal Highways; Need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Jennifer

Hi eveyone.
I'll be arriving to LAX at 2pm and then need to drive to San Diego. Who can tell me what I'm in for and what to avoid.
Does anyone know of a nice scenic route from San Diego to Palm Springs?

By the way, this is a great resource, thanks for all the tips.

Jen

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 01:01 PM
John

Hi,
Traffic here is TOTALLY UNPREDICTABLE! The concept of "rush hours" has somewhat faded away. Traffic can be bumper-to-bumper at 1pm (where IS everybody going??), clear sailing at 5pm. But in general things do get heavier between 3&7pm. Hopefully you'll be on your way by then. Allow about 2 hours to San Diego. Most direct route is to take 405 south to 5 south, although maybe some frequent users of that route have other suggestions?

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 02:47 PM
xxx

Which day of the week are you arriving? Friday afternoon is by far the worst commute of the week.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 03:23 PM
tahquitz

Jennifer:

Unfortunately, the first response is pretty much right, though things definitely start to get more syrupy on the freeways after 2 PM. There are numerous choices from the airport, i.e. the 405 south all the way to the I-5 at the El Toro "Y" then on to S.D., or you could take the 405 N. to the I-10 East, then out to the 215 south to the I-15 (the inland route.) Dunno which I would do. Maybe the I-10, but you would miss some of the better scenery through Camp Pendleton and along the coast.

On the S.D.-P.S. part of your question, assuming you are starting at or near the SD airport, take the I-5 North or South to Highway 163 North. The 163 will transition into the I-15 North. Take I-15 North to Temecula. Then, ake Hwy 79 east to the junction with Hwy 371. Take Hwy 371 (signs will say Indio, go that way). The 371 will intersect Highway 74, the Palms to Pines Highway. Take the 74 toward Palm Desert. Hwy 74 descends into Palm Desert and becomes Monterey Street, a main artery that intersects Interstate 10 to the north. palm Springs is west of Palm Desert about 20 min. on Hwy 111 (though there are less-traveled routes). Indian Wells and La Quinta are to the east 10-15 min. Good luck.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 03:44 PM
lcuy

We drive this frequently. I take 405 south, then use the toll road 73-south near the John Wayne Airport. It cuts 20 to 30 minutes off your trip for $2.50. I love it, because not only is it often empty, but it runs thru undeveloped hills I find it pretty and peaceful. It ends back at I-5 at Laguna Nigel, and it is a straight shot south from there.