Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, how does this sound? (Coast trip)

Hi, does this trip sound good?:

2 nites LA (family there)
1 night Santa Barbara
2 nights Monterey area
2 nights San Fran

If you were to suggest adding one more night somewhere in any of these places, or on the drive from LA to San Fran, where would you stay? Cambria? One more night in Santa Barbara? Any suggestions appreciated!

Silkigal
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:46 AM

Yes, add Cambria. It's a delightful coastal treasure with lots of nice places to eat, gorgeous scenery, shopping and a great place to relax. ***kim***
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:56 PM

After two nights in LA, I would spend a few hours sightseeing in Santa Barbara and then drive to Cambria for the night. The next morning I would go to the Hearst Castle and in the afternoon drive to Carmel (or Monterey). If I could arrange three nights in San Francisco, I would.

By the way: Monterey is a confusing place. The acquarium is good, but the rest leaves me pretty much baffled. Carmel was wonderful 45 years ago and many people love it as it is today. The 17-mile-drive is nice, but very time consuming and not essential if you have driven up Highway 1 through Big Sur.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 02:51 PM

I agree with Jimshep - spend the night in Cambria instead of Santa Barbara (not that Santa Barbara's not a nice town...it is)
If you're going to add an extra night, I'd spend two nights in Cambria so you wouldn't have to rush your drive to Carmel/Monterey. Hearst Castle is well worth seeing, and there's very good wines to be tasted in the Paso Robles area a short drive to the east of Cambria.
Other things to see and do on the way (we vacation along this coast quite a bit...)

Santa Barbara: eat at William for dinner. Small place, the chef is the owner - great French food, no pretension. We sat outside with our Golden Retriever last time.

Cambria - eat at The Sea Chest. VERY fresh sea food! They don't take reservations, so plan accordingly.

San Simeon - the mind-blowing congregation of Elephant Seals. Their population varies depending on the time of year, but even one male is a pretty impressive sight!

Big Sur - have a drink at Nepenthe, which is built on a ridge sticking out into the ocean. You sit outside admiring the glorious view stretching away south. The food's nothing to write home about, though not bad...the view's the main thing.

Carmel - Point Lobos. This park is God's Acre. Absolutely beautiful, and inhabited by lots of wildlife. You're almost certain to see otters - bring binoculars!

Carmel - Doris Day's Cypress Inn is a good place to stay. We love their dog-friendly policy - Happy Hour is 5-7 in the bar where drinks are half price and there's usually 4 or 5 friendly doggies! Great beach to walk on down the hill, too.

Monterey - the aquarium is indeed spectacular...but it can be very busy in the summertime. I suggest you buy tickets in advance so you don't have to stand in line forever.

San Francisco - too many great resturaunts to name, but the dim sum at Yank Sing is amazing - the best I've ever had. Be sure to get a reservation.
Also, walk up the stairway on the east side of the hill Coit Tower is on, then go up in the tower. There's great 30's WPA style murals in the base of the tower.

I could go on, but that's enuf! If you need other places to stay, I'm happy to give you my highly biased opinions of those, too!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

thank you, ver helpul info!